Honovich Mistreated, Moore Disappoints

I am writing for two reasons: First, in support of John Honovich '97, who is the only Assembly Executive Committee member who seems to be genuinely interested in carrying out the will of the student body, not a personal political agenda.

Secondly, I am writing to express my disappointment in the resignation of Assembly President Danielle Moore '95. Obviously Moore deserved and deserves respect; however, if she wanted to lead the student body she should be able to recognize and handle the fact that a certain amount of bickering and "antics" is inherent in any political organization.

Moore said that she was tired of "having to mediate Assembly members' conflicts" -- a true leader ought to be able to work past the petty infighting, bringing members together in order to advance on the issues that are truly important to the Dartmouth community.

Moore also said, "I'm not a politician, I'm an activist ... I thought this would be a good forum to act on my beliefs." Isn't the president supposed to be an advocate for the entire student body, not just for his or her own beliefs?

She said that she was stepping down because she wanted to show that women leaders will not tolerate disrespect. But doesn't her very resignation signal a victory for "those who refuse to leave behind their self-interest"?

The Dartmouth, in today's issue, allowed Moore to clearly lay out the reasons for her resignation. Unfortunately, it did not give John Honovich the same fair hearing, instead choosing to attack him as "ornery" and "irresponsible."

Hopefully in the future, as an "objective" paper, The Dartmouth will give Honovich the same opportunities to defend himself before it rushes to call for his resignation.