Field hockey ends season with honors

Although the Dartmouth field hockey team was unable to defeat the University of Maine last week and gain the ECAC title, the Big Green ended the season with a successful 3-2-1 record in the Ivy League, allowing them to receive three All-Ivy nominations.

Lauren Demski '96 and Sarah Devens '96 were named to the first team All-Ivy, while Cynthia Roberts '96 was named to the second team.

Demski, Dartmouth's goal keeper, finished the season with 123 saves and seven shutouts, and an astonishing 0.8 goals-allowed-per-game average.

"I thought many of the keepers in the Ivy's had great seasons, so it was a pleasant surprise to be nominated to the All-Ivy team," said Demski.

Power-forward Devens led the team in scoring again this year, racking up an impressive six goals. She also had nine assists which gave her a 21-point total for the season.

"I am grateful for the recognition, but more importantly, with the improvement and confidence that our team gained this season. Devens said."

Roberts made the second team All-Ivy, with eight goals and three assists this season. Showing her strength of dedication and determination to improve, all of Roberts' goals came in the second half of the season.

"This past year I worked really hard in the off-season, just training and practicing on my own and it was good to see it pay off," said Roberts. "It's not so much the recognition that makes me feel good, but knowing that I've improved so much, and that the team as a whole has come such a long way."

Other players who were honored were Amy Yost '98 and Allison Pell '96, who were both named to the honorable mention All-Ivy team.

"These honors should be seen as team honors," said Demski. "A strong season performance by the team made people recognize Dartmouth as a hockey force. I think a number of my teammates should have been honored."

The Big Green are still looking forward to next year, and these all-Ivy honors only entice them to work harder.

"This recognition doesn't change the fact that we have the potential to have a strong season. We had a great year and I look at these honors as icing on the cake" said Demski.

The team finished the season 10-6-1 overall, its best record since 1988. With this success, along with the three All-Ivy nominations, the frosting was worth the effort and the wait.