Homecoming: Now, I understand

As the many visitors to the Dartmouth campus head home and the rest of us who remain return to our regular routine of campus life, it is helpful to reflect on the events of this past weekend. As a '98, I have no prior Homecoming weekends at Dartmouth to compare with this year's, yet based on everything I have experienced and in talking to many of my fellow classmates, I am convinced that this year's Homecoming weekend was a success in all areas.

The Freshman sweep was very well-organized. Although it may have felt at some times as if there were too many people in orange vests waving glowing wands and attempting to direct the mob of '98s, I do not think that this was really the case.

If there were any less guidance and direction provided, the rushing, howling mass of freshmen could easily have gotten way out of control. If there were any more controls and restrictions on the sweep, the sweep would have lacked a feeling of spontaneity and stifled the exuberance that one naturally feels when taking part in such an incredible event.

Some of the speeches were actually inspiring, instilling a sense of history and tradition to the night with the reading of telegrams from various classes and alumni groups, rousing Dartmouth spirit for athletic victories the next day and raising the poetic sensibilities of the Dartmouth community to newer and higher levels.

Then, there was the bonfire. Built, lit and run around by the Class of 1998, this was a wonder to behold. As the roaring flames lit up the sky, I could not help but feel overwhelmed by the deep feeling of community and rich sense of Dartmouth tradition, knowing that this same ritual has brought together the Dartmouth community for almost 100 years.

Beginning first as a deep murmur in the crowd, getting louder and louder, finally reaching a crescendo, I heard cries of "Run 'shmen run!" I worked my way through the crowd and towards the fire with a few friends, and then, we started to run.

We ran very quickly, bumping into fellow 'shmen the whole way, switching directions whenever I felt as if one side of my face was getting a bit too toasted. There is an indescribable thrill to taking part in activities of this nature. Rushing in to touch the fire, rushing out before getting burnt, running, bumping, running some more, switching directions, it was great!

Scampering around the towering inferno was also educational as I learned how hot fires can be. This fire was very hot.

Saturday was no disappointment either. A victory over Yale on the gridiron punctuated by a gutsy two-point conversion to seal the win lifted the spirits of the Dartmouth community to even loftier heights.

There is something about being here at Dartmouth for weekends such as these that can make one proud to be a member of the Dartmouth family. After taking part in Homecoming Weekend at Dartmouth for my first time, it is not hard to see why many alumni return year after year. After all, I can now see that they are only coming home.