Bloom '95 wins Scholar Athlete Award of $18,000

Josh Bloom '95, co-captain and inside line-backer of the Dartmouth football team, is one of 15 winners of an $18,000 scholarship for post-graduate study.

The Scholar-Athlete award is given out by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame. Each year 15 college seniors in the nation are chosen by the Awards Committee to recieve this honor.

The 1994 winners are mainly in Division 1-A, from various schools including Pennsylvania State, Florida State and Stanford University. In Dartmouth's division, 1-AA, only two athletes were chosen: Andre Maksimow of Boston University and Bloom.

Bloom, who plans to use the scholarship money for medical school, was selected as Dartmouth's nominee and the Foundation's choice because of his talents as a student, as well as an athlete.

In addition to balancing the constant pressure of his studies with his training, Bloom has also taken on a number of other activities at Dartmouth.

As a history modified with environmental studies major, he spent his junior winter term in Nairobi, Kenya for the Foreign Study Program in Environmental Studies.

Bloom also works as a liason to the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and the C. Everett Koop Institute, where he assists in organizing some of the program's events and scheduling its speakers.

Bloom has accumulated a 3.28 GPA, but along with his tackles of the books in the library, he has managed 297 on the field - 44 of them solo - placing him sixth in career tackles.

Bloom's football career at Dartmouth has been impressive, to say the least. He was the MVP and co-captain of the 1991 freshman football team and in his sophomore year, he was presented with Dartmouth's Doten Award for being an outstanding defenseman.

Last season, he won the Kenneth Young Award as the top upperclass defenseman and was named a GTE District Academic All-American and a member of the All-Ivy second team.

In both 1992 and 1993, Bloom was Dartmouth's leading tackler and in the spring of this year, he was pesented with the Class of 1948 Scholar-Athlete Award.

The Foundation's awards dinner will be held Dec. 6 at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City and Bloom will be honored with the 14 other winners.

At the ceremony, Bloom will also have a chance to receive the $25,000 Draddy Fellowship, which will be awarded to the top football scholar athlete among the 15.

After graduation in the spring, Bloom said he plans to return to Colorado, his home state, to attend medical school in the fall.