Two '96s battle to replace Fiedler

When Dartmouth football opens its training camp next week, there will be a shoot-out for the team's starting quarterback spot.

All-everything quarterback Jay Fiedler '94 has graduated and now throws footballs for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League.

The Dartmouth football team must now begin its search for its next offensive leader, the man who will carry them to another Ivy League crown.

Ren Riley '96 will go into camp as the number one quarterback, varsity football coach John Lyons said yesterday.

Last season, Riley was the number one back-up to Fiedler, which meant that he did not see much playing time on the field.

But Lyons has recruited Jerry Singleton '96, a transfer student from Colorado State University, to come in and challenge Riley for the starting job this season.

Lyons said Singleton will start training camp as the number-two quarterback behind Riley, but whoever has the best pre-season will win the job.

"We'll go through pre-season and give both of them a lot of work and see what they can do," Lyons said.

Unofficial practices

Lyons said he got to know Singleton during the recruitment process last year.

Singleton has been up in Hanover this summer, working for the College and meeting his new teammates.

This summer, Lyons said he has had the opportunity to get to know Singleton better.

"He seems to be someone who's very serious about football, and he's working very hard to get himself ready for this year," Lyons said. "We're very pleased with his attitude since he has gotten here."

Singleton said he has been in the weight room about four times a week since coming to Hanover.

He said he has also been playing unofficial seven-on-seven games with his new teammates.

Singleton said he has been "impressed" with the level of play he has seen since he's been here.

"There's a lot more athleticism than I expected," Singleton said.

Although Singleton said he has enjoyed working out all summer, he added that he is "really looking forward to classes starting."

Lyons said it is "nice to have a guy like Jerry coming in with his experience."

Singleton won 12 of his 16 starts during his two years at junior college in California.

Two years ago, Singleton threw for more than 2,400 yards with 14 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

Lyons said the football staff evaluated Singleton from film from his days at junior college but has not gotten to see Singleton play live all that much.

"We were very impressed with the way he played at junior college," Lyons said.

Who will start?

Riley emerged as the leading candidate for the quarterback job after an impressive spring practice.

"Like Jerry, Ren has worked hard all summer," Lyons said. "Both kids are very serious about winning the job."

Lyons would not conjecture on who he thinks will be next year's starter.

Singleton also said he did not know if he would be the starter next year.

Singleton said he and Riley will both have a chance and whoever plays better during the pre-season will get the job.

Singleton said he is "ready to get started," and excited to practice with his new team.

Riley said he "hasn't really gotten a chance to know [Singleton] that well," because Singleton has been working and Riley has been taking classes.

But Riley said he has seen Singleton play and said he had a "pretty good" arm.

"It will be good for both of us that we're going at it and competing," Riley said. "The best man will be starting in September."

Fighting the Fiedler legacy

No matter who gets the job, the winner will have a tough job this season. The new quarterback will have the daunting task of filling Fiedler's large shoes.

Fiedler was wildly successful during his three years as a varsity starter, leading Dartmouth to two Ivy League championships and a second-place finish.

But Singleton said he did not think there was extra weight on his shoulders because of Fiedler's legacy.

"Whoever plays is obviously going to be compared to Jay because he was so successful," he said. "I don't think there's any additional pressure ... We're not competing against Jay, we're competing against each other."

Lyons said he did not think there was any animosity between Riley and Singleton.

"I don't think there's animosity. I think they're in competition," he said. "I hope there's not animosity because they are competing against themselves, not among each other."

"I know its going to be a very competitive situation," Lyons added. "They are certainly cordial. I don't know if they're the best of friends."

Singleton laughed at the suggestion of there being any hard feelings between him and Riley.

"I really like him," he said. "He's a good guy and he's really funny ... Unfortunately only one of us is going to play."

Riley also said he did not think there is any bitterness between the two.