Ruggers lose early, often last weekend

Despite winning its first game of the summer, the men's rugby club was pounded twice last weekend at the Acton Ten Good Men tournament in Massachusetts.

After arriving late to its first match, the team of 10 players lost to the Amoskeag Men's Club in a convincing fashion.

"They spanked us twenty-four to three," Dan Kalafatas '96 said.

This summer, the club is playing in matches were the teams field squads of seven or 10 players.

Ten's is primarily a passing game based on continuity and possession of the ball unlike the 15-member game played during the year when speed and strength play more of a factor.

In the closing seconds of its second match last weekend against the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Dartmouth team came from behind to win seven to five.

After a scrum, Todd Aaron '96 raced down to mid-field, kicking the ball out to Chris McGee '96. Kalafatas said McGee popped the ball out to Jonathan Stoel '96 who dove into the try zone before the whistle sounded.

Stoel said that after tying the game at five all, Patrick McLoughlin '96 scored the extra points for the win.

In the final match of the weekend, Mystic River -- the number one club in the United States -- simply decimated Dartmouth.

"Five minutes into the game we were already looking forward to the barbecue at my house," Kalafatas said.

Dartmouth ended up losing the match 45 to 0.