Freedman leaves for three-week vacation

College President James Freedman departs this morning for a three-week vacation in Cape Cod, Mass., leaving new Provost Lee Bollinger as acting president.

Freedman said he usually goes on long weekends during the summer, but decided to take a longer vacation this year because "we thought this year it was important to get away, to store up on rest."

Freedman was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer in April and has completed four of his prescribed eight rounds of chemotherapy.

"I'm excited just to have peace and quiet, and not to have the telephone ringing," he said. "We are really looking forward to an extended period of swimming, reading and walking."

The summer is slower at the College, he said, with less "official entertaining" and fewer faculty and student committee meetings.

Bollinger, who just started his job last Friday, said he will not have too many extra responsibilities in Freedman's absence.

"I think it just means somebody should be around and ready in case of a crisis," he said. "I still feel like the new provost ... In the event somebody needs a final decision, I can always call President Freedman -- it's no big deal."

Freedman said he chose to go to Cape Cod partially because it is close to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he receives his chemotherapy.

If anything major comes up in the next three weeks, Freedman said, "I'm obviously just a phone call away."

He will return July 30.