Crew team ready for Henley

The varsity men's lightweight crew team faces its stiffest competition of the season this weekend at the Henley Royal Regatta in Henley-On-Thames England.

The team is competing for the Thames Challenge Cup against 69 other boats from around the world. Only 48 boats remain after elimination heats held last Friday.

At the Henley, Dartmouth's lightweights will race against heavyweight crews, since there is no lightweight division at the Henley.

The Big Green is coming in to this race at their peak, winning two races in England, the Reading Regatta and the Marlow Regatta, where they edged out rival Princeton University.

The team has focused on the Henley since its second-place finish behind Princeton at the national championships early this month.

"I think we can do really well," team member Chris Woll '95 said from England.

The team received a bye for yesterday's first round and should breeze through today's race against Cambridge, the team that knocked the Big Green out last year.

Woll said they got to see Cambridge race in the first round yesterday. "They don't look too tough," he said.

But winning the Regatta will be much more difficult. "It would take the race of our lives," Moll said.

The Regatta features 536 boats in 16 separate events.