Water Polo triumphs

Dartmouth water polo has made quite a name for itself. In four weeks of spring competition, the team dominated their opponents and earned recognition as the best club team in the country.

"Organization and dedication have been sorely lacking ingredients for Dartmouth water polo, but the team has made remarkable progress culminating this year with a strong, enthusiastic group of '97s and the invaluable contributions of Coach [Jim] Wilson," Jordan Friedman '94 said. "[The team's] newly earned intercollegiate legitimacy makes the past frustrations all worth it."

Last weekend, the season hit its peak at the Dartmouth Water Polo Tournament. The Big Green opened the tournament at 8:00 a.m. against Boston University, a team it summarily destroyed 20-10.

An hour later, Dartmouth battled Bates College. The Big Green opened with a quick 2-0 lead behind goals by Sam Keating '97 and Nick Gansner '97. Bates roared back with three goals in 41 seconds, but the Big Green still cruised to a 10-4 victory.

The toughest contest of the tournament for Dartmouth came against Cornell University, one of the top teams in the east. Jon Kenyon '96 helped Dartmouth to its first lead. But Cornell quickly countered with two goals of its own to take a 2-1 lead with 2:10 remaining in the half.

Robert Halk '94 tied the score 30 seconds later with his first goal of the day. Midway through the second quarter, the Kenyon brothers [Jon and Charles '94] took over for the Big Green. After battling to a 6-4 lead, Jon Kenyon scored on a strike 30 seconds into the second quarter.

Not to be outdone by his brother, Charles Kenyon added another goal to widen Dartmouth's lead to 8-4. After two Dartmouth goals, Cornell roared back with three goals in less than 50 seconds. The first half ended with Dartmouth holding onto a 10-7 lead. The Big Green tallied four in the second half, lead by Jon Kenyon's three. The tournament ended with a stunning 16-10 Dartmouth victory.

"I feel fortunate we could remain undefeated throughout the spring. The team deserves it," Wilson said. "They played very well all term."

The team faces one final exhibition against Greenwich High School on May 21st.