Tennis prepares for Ivy League

After playing six matches, the men's tennis team returned from its spring trip to California with plenty of match play and competition, which should prepare the Big Green for their upcoming Ivy League season.

"First and foremost, our goal was to make sure that we would be playing our best by March 31," Randy White '94 said. "Therefore, we did not concern ourselves too much with winning and losing while in California. Instead we focused on working hard, getting in shape and coming together once again as a team."

Although injuries and the new surroundings plagued the team, the trip was beneficial, Captain Dan Coakley '94 said.

"Overall the trip went well," he said. "We struggled, but that was to be expected. Adapting to outdoor play is difficult for the first week, especially when we face nationally ranked teams right away. The injuries were another tough factor."

"We played five really strong teams," Coach Chuck Knox said. "Most of them had eight to 15 matches under their belts, and we had just finished finals and didn't have much court time in the winter."

As for the goals for the season, the Big Green are looking for a spot in the NCAA tournament at the end of the season and a possible repeat as Ivy League champions.

"The league is very tough this year, so it is really up in the air," Jim Rich '96 said. "Whoever wants it will win it. We would love to win the Ivy title this year, but the ultimate goal is to the NCAA's for the first time in Dartmouth's tennis history."

Dartmouth will have to overcome a difficult schedule in its quest for an Ivy Championship. The team will have to upset nationally ranked Harvard University at Cambridge and must also win at Columbia University, something which has never before been done by the men.

With three seniors, the team is hoping to make this a memorable season.

"I know the seniors would love to have a successful season," Knox said. "I can tell they're starting to get focused because they know these are the last five weeks of competition as a team. I think they are ready to play."

Remaining focused is essential for success.

"We need to take each match as an individual event," Coakley said. "As a team, we have the potential to win each match we play, but if we get caught up in winning the Ivy League Championship, we lose a manageable focus. Each match is as important as the rest and as long as we are able to maintain this focus, we'll play well."