Tennis battles Brown, Yale

The men's tennis team kept its NCAA post season hopes alive with two close wins on the road this weekend. The men traveled to Brown University on Friday and left Providence with a 4-3 victory. The team continued on to Yale University and upset the Bulldogs for the first time in six years with another 4-3 win.

"We really scrapped," Coach Chuck Kinyon said. "We played tenacious tennis. The guys just refused to lose."

Randy White '94 pulled through in a close match Saturday at Yale winning 6-4 in the third set, while Chase Arnold '95 breezed against his opponent en route to a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Holden Spaht '96 also won a singles point for the Big Green. Dartmouth started the match off by capturing the doubles point with victories from the numbers two and three doubles team of Jim Rich '96 and Dan Coakley '94 and White and Mike DeGuzman '94.

On Friday at Brown, the number three doubles team again won along with the number one team of Arnold and Spaht. Coakley, Rich and DeGuzman pulled through in tough singles matches to capture the match.

"I'm very pleased with how we played," Kinyon said. "The guys really stepped up when they had to. It was a real team effort."

The men, who have been plagued with poor doubles play throughout the season, were pleased with capturing the doubles point both days.

"We haven't been winning our doubles a lot, and it's something we've been working on," Kinyon said. "We're getting better every time."

Tomorrow, the men travel to Cambridge to take on the nationally ranked Crimson of Harvard University, who were upset by Yale last Friday, 4-3. With a victory over the Crimson tomorrow, the Big Green will virtually be guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament in May.

"It would be a big upset," Kinyon said. "We'll be ready though. It's not too difficult to get geared up for Harvard. We like playing them."