Rough weekend for softball

It was a rough weekend for Dartmouth softball, stumbling to two wins in six tries in its inaugural tour of the Ivy League. The team triumphed over Cornell University and Columbia University before falling to Ivy League frontrunner Princeton University.

"This weekend we were short handed and found that we had several people that can contribute on the defensive end when called upon," said Coach Hank Tenney.

In the first contest of a double-header on Friday, Dartmouth took a 2-0 lead in the first inning with scores by Priselac and Lauren McQuade '97. Cornell returned two in the bottom of the first and one in the second before Dartmouth tied the game on a triple by Susan Warhover '95 and a sacrifice by Goodwin. The Big Green were unable to hold the tie, giving up the game winning run for a 6-5 Cornell victory.

In the second game, Dartmouth's offense caught fire, scoring four runs in the first two innings of play. Wild pitching by Cornell gave the Big Green four walks, helping the team to a six-run advantage in the third. Pitcher Erika Lee '95 helped pull off the win. She entered the game in the fifth and gave up only one hit, lifting Dartmouth to a 10-6 victory.

On Saturday, Dartmouth beat Columbia University 5-4 after falling behind early in the game. The Big Green picked up the intensity in the seventh. Jennifer Pitts '95 delivered an RBI single and McQuade unloaded a base hit, elevating Dartmouth to its second win in as many games.

Later Saturday afternoon, the Big Green could not mount a comeback against Berger College, losing 4-3. McQuade led the team with a double and a single and Karen Hersey '96 and Laura Frem '94 had RBI's for Dartmouth. Three Big Green errors also helped Berger's victory.

On Sunday, Dartmouth faced Princeton, one of the top teams in the East. The Tigers and the number 2 pitcher in the nation silenced the Dartmouth bats in New Jersey, as the team was deluged with two 8-0 Princeton victories.

Yesterday, the team battled Colyby-Sawyer College on a cold, wet afternoon in Hanover. Despite coming off a six-game road trip, the team felt no ill effects and rallied for two wins, downing Colby-Sawyer 3-2 in the first game and 5-1 in the second contest.