Review editor resigns

Daniel Garcia-Diaz '95 resigned as editor in chief of The Dartmouth Review yesterday and Andrew Gold '95 will step in as the acting editor.

Editors of the off-campus conservative weekly announced the resignation last night.

Garcia-Diaz said he resigned so he could dedicate more time to academic pursuits.

"I can't do a fairly good job of editing The Review and do well in my classes," he said. "It became a question of picking the Review or my career, and I picked my career."

Garcia-Diaz announced his resignation from The Review in a letter two days ago, Review President Thomas Uger '96 said. His resignation was accepted yesterday, Uger said.

Gold, who started this term as publisher, will act as editor on an interim basis until he is approved by The Review's Board of Trustees at its meeting later this term, Uger said.

Gold said Garcia-Diaz will continue to be an active member of The Review but he was not sure in what capacity. Both Garcia-Diaz and Gold applied to be editor of The Review last term.

Former Review Editor Oron Strauss '95 said being editor of The Review requires an immense time commitment. "It ends up being a 24-hour-a-day job," he said. "You eat, drink, sleep and breathe The Review."

Strauss said he thinks the transition to a new editor will be smooth and that he was impressed by how the staff of The Review pulled together to help the paper.

Although an anonymous source inside The Review alleged that Garcia-Diaz resigned because of personality conflicts and differences of opinions about the direction of The Review, Gold, Uger and Strauss denied those allegations.

Gold said he "pretty much agrees" with Garcia-Diaz on most issues and called the change a "re-organization." He said he will concentrate on the quality of the writing in The Review.

"My feeling is that The Review's mission is to provide information to both students and alumni of Dartmouth that provides an alternative point of view to the administration," Gold said.

Garcia-Diaz also said he and Gold agree on practically everything. "I have a clear conscious on him taking over the paper," Garcia-Diaz said.

Uger said most of the staff knows of the changes, and the rest will be informed at The Review's staff meeting tonight.