Gonzalez '95 leaves race

David Gonzalez '95 said yesterday he is dropping out of the Student Assembly presidential race because he feels the position is not worth the time commitment.

"I had a list of pros and cons in front of me and I decided it wasn't worth it," he said. "I had a realization that it's not what I want to do.I want to do other things with my time."

Gonzalez said he will dedicate his time to academic pursuits and his job as an Area Coordinator. He said it did not make sense for him to pay for a Dartmouth education and spend all his time working on the Assembly.

"It's probably a matter of economics," Gonzalez said. "I cannot afford to spend 60 hours a week on a non-paying job and not get anything out of it."

Dropping out of the race "had been in the back of my mind the whole time - I was never 100 percent sure," he said.

He said many people advised him not to run for the position, telling him "you don't want to ruin your senior year."

Assembly President Nicole Artzer '94 said the job requires an enormous time commitment. "It basically takes up the whole year ... You have to be prepared to give up some other things."

There are now five presidential candidates for the April 12 election - Jim Brennan '96, Jeremy Katz '95, Danielle Moore '95, Caleb Scott '96 and Kenji Sugahara '95.