Women's hockey splits

A hat trick is always a welcome accomplishment in hockey, even when it occurs over a two-day, two-game span. Kim Reid '94, though, probably wishes she could have scored all three of her goals on Saturday.

She was the leading scorer in Sunday's 8-1 demolition of McGill University, tallying two goals. She also contributed a goal in Dartmouth's 6-4 loss to St. Lawrence University on Saturday.

Sunday's win, which evened Dartmouth's record for the season at 8-8-1, began slowly for the Big Green. Amy Coelho '97 scored Dartmouth's lone first-period goal, but the offense kicked in during the second period, with a goal from Phoebe Manchester '96 at the 3:49 mark. McGill attempted a rally at 10:39 with their lone goal of the game but the Big Green dominated down the stretch, shutting out McGill's potent offense.

Finishing out the second period scoring were Gretchen Ulion '94 and Reid, propelling Dartmouth ahead 4-1 entering the final period of play. Highlighting the third was a career-first goal by Andrea Paradis '97.

She was joined in the scoring effort on goals by Malaika Little '97, Rachel Rochat '95 and Reid once more. Goalie Sarah Lenczner '97 had a quiet day in the net with 10 saves. Dartmouth pummeled McGill's net-minder Annette VanDerLinde with 52 shots.

The win gave Dartmouth a 1-1 record for the weekend after St. Lawrence managed to score two goals late in the third period on Saturday to escape with a 6-4 win. Dartmouth came out strong in the first period with goals by Kim Cohen '94 and Reid. The Saints answered with only one first period tally.

The second period, though, was plagued with penalties and missed opportunities for the Big Green. St. Lawrence took advantage of Dartmouth's errors to slip in two goals, jumping out 4-2. Little put in her first of two weekend goals with three minutes left in the second period, paving the way for Sarah Devens '96 to even it up at 4-4 late in the final period.

Unfortunately, the Saints were able to retaliate with a power play goal at 16:31, giving them a 5-4 lead. Saint Lawrence secured the victory with a tally with 35 seconds left in the game to end Dartmouth's first game of the weekend in a loss. The Big Green will look to break the .500 mark this weekend when they face Yale University on Saturday.