Ulion '94 scores seven goals as women's hockey ices Yale 14-1

The women's ice hockey team was unstoppable Saturday night in New Haven, capturing its ninth victory of the season by demolishing Yale 14-1.

The Big Green were led by Captain Gretchen Ulion '94, who broke her own record for goals scored in a game with eight. In 1991, Ulion scored seven, also against Yale. She also contributed three assists Saturday.

"We played well," Ulion said. "We used it as a building game to get ourselves back together again. We moved the puck around down by the net and really used our passing well."

The Elis started their run early on when Lauren Schlesinger scored just 11 seconds into the game.

From then on, though, it was all Dartmouth, as the Big Green were ahead 5-1 after one period and 9-1 after two.

Sarah Howald '96 and Sarah Devens '96 each scored two goals for Dartmouth. Captain Kim Reid '94 and Michelle Erickson '96 rounded out the scoring, tallying one apiece.

Goalie Sarah Lenczner '97 had six saves for the Big Green.

"It was probably one of the best games of the season," Coach George Crowe said."We had a lot of pretty looking scores, a lot of nice combination goals. It was a real good team effort."

Reid said that although it was difficult going into the game knowing Yale would be a weaker team, the Big Green did a good job playing at a high level.

"We did not play down to another level, and we played our game," Reid said. "We also were able to work on some things we haven't been able to do all year like working as a team and passing a lot more."

This week the Big Green plays Middlebury at home and then travels to Rochester Institute of Technology and Cornell this weekend. Again they will be expected to dominate the three games.

"The teams this week are again a little weaker, so we need to just work hard on playing at our level," Reid said. "We need to stay at our game and work on the things we need work on."

Ulion said gaining momentum at the end of the season is a key to ending with a successful season.

"We just need to get down to basics and practice what we need to practice so we can be ready for our last games against UNH and Harvard," Ulion said. "We want to be ready heading into the ECAC's."

Although the Big Green have not yet clinched a bid for the playoffs, Crowe said he is confident the team will prevail.

"I think we should get on a little roll now," Crowe said. "Now we're trying to make a run for the playoffs, but we have to play well here at the end. I think we will though, and I think we have a very good shot at the playoffs. We want to end up strong, and that's where we are at right now."