Swimmers win war

The women's swim team raised their record to 7-3 with their sixth straight win against Army on Saturday.

The squad won 13 of 16 events to dominate the Bulldogs.

Coach Betsy Mitchell said, "The women who have already qualified for Eastern Collegiate Swimming Championships are swimming faster than they ever have at mid-season." "We could be winning meets and swimming poorly and it wouldn't mean anything to me. The key this season has been the team's determination, and each swimmer continued to shave their times and race well," she added.

The Big Green swept the 200 meter intermediate medley and 800 meter free relays to compliment some outstanding individual efforts. The 800 free team qualified for Easterns with their time posted on Saturday.

Beth Johnson '97 won the 400 IM. Kathy Luz '96 placed first in the 500 free, while classmate Karyn Bysshe took the 100 fly. Deb Whitney '96 won the 200 fly and Anne Soutter '96 won the 100 free, enhancing Dartmouth's overall performance.

Junior co-captain Cory Murphy won the 100 and 200 backstroke, for which she holds the current varsity records, to continue her stellar season.

Andrea Hill '97 had another stellar meet with victories in the 100 breaststroke and the 200 IM. Cara Hardy '96 helped the Big Green with wins in the 200 fly and the 500 freestyle.

Dawn Laurie '97 swam personal bests in three events and freshman Kerry McCloskey made the Eastern cut in the 400 IM.

The team will focus on their weekend showdown with Yale for the rest of this week.

Mitchell said they will be "continuing on the same plan that they have had all season." This plan seems to be producing encouraging results for the Big Green thus far.