Students and faculty meet at Dean's dinner

A total of 24 students and faculty members attended the annual Faculty-Student Community Dinner last night in the Collis Center.

The event was sponsored by the Dean of the College Office.

The dinner gave students the opportunity to meet and talk with their professors on an informal basis.

For the last three years, the Dean of the College Office has sponsored this event, which is mostly geared toward freshmen and sophomores.

"This is an important opportunity for students because education is a continuum, and I would like to be able to hold these dinners more often, maybe even once a term," Dean of the College Lee Pelton said. "We need to provide an informal and intimate setting to allow students to interact with their professors."

Mathematics Professor Ken Gross said, "This dinner is important especially for first-year students because they may not be able to speak with their freshman advisor as much as they would like."

Sunni Chauhan '95, an intern in the Office of Student Life, organized the event that included a catered dinner by Panda House and a performance by the Dodecaphonics, a campus a capella group.

David Belden '97 invited Physics Professor Delo Mook to the dinner. "I wanted to talk to him because I'm interested in engineering, but also because he is my physics professor. And I didn't just want to only watch him in front of the class," Belden said.

Carlyn Lettan '97 said, "I think this is a good way to find out more about another field which you might not have thought about. Talking with professors in different departments is a great way to do that because they are more experienced and have different insight."