Hockey on thin ice

In home games this weekend against St. Lawrence University and Clarkson University, the Big Green men's hockey team will continue its pursuit of a minor miracle.

The game against St. Lawrence begins at 7:30 tonight and the match against Clarkson will begin at 7 p.m. tomorrow. Both games will take place at Leede Arena.

This weekend's games are the team's last home games. The Big Green must win both of them, in addition to its last two of the regular season next weekend aginst Yale and Princeton, in order to nab the final spot in the Eastern College Athletic Conference's playoffs.

Last week, the Big Green played their best hockey of the season against Harvard University and Brown University - number one and two, respectively, in the league - and were rewarded for their efforts with a weekend split.

"Last week against both Harvard and Brown, we saw 60 minutes of solid hockey from everybody and that resulted in some very good hockey," Coach Roger Demment said.

Demment did a little line shuffling last week in an effort to spark the Big Green's offense, a strategy that appeared successful.

The new threesome of Dion Del Monte '95, Scott Fraser '94 and Brent Retter '97 proved particularly explosive, accounting for four of five goals in the 5-4 victory over the Bears.

Although the Big Green won't be going into tonight's game with a full deck, Demment said the team is optimistic. He said the team will be on a bit of an upswing after proving they could match up against the top two tems in the league last week.

Scott Dolesh '96 and Yannick Roussin '95 are both questionable for tonight's game and Patrick Turcotte '94 is out for the season after breaking his hand in a game against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.