Fire singes fourth floor window

An unknown individual set off a fire in a garbage can near a window on the fourth floor of Gile Hall around 6:15 Friday evening.

It is still unclear whether the fire was set accidentally or intentionally. The Hanover Fire Department is examining the possibility that it may have been started by an un-extinguished cigarette thrown into the garbage can.

Between 6:15 and 6:20 p.m., Pat Schultz '96 visited the room of George Huang '96 on the fourth floor and saw smoke coming from the garbage can. Huang's room is one of the closest to the garbage can.

Schultz put the garbage can out on the fire escape. Since there was no fire at that point, the two men felt it was safe to leave and call the fire department later.

But the smoldering embers began to burn in the garbage can and started a small fire.

Tim McCann '97, a resident of the fourth floor, pulled the fire alarm at 6:22 p.m. before Huang had a chance to call Safety and Security.

Safety and Security arrived several minutes later, and working with the fire department, which arrived immediately afterwards, quickly extinguished the garbage can while residents watched from outside.

"There was a potential danger because there was an ignited object at the end of a closed residence hall which created a lot of smoke," Hanover Fire Department Captain Michael Doolan said. "Luckily, that didn't create a problem and nobody was hurt."

The damage to the residence hall included burn marks on the frame of the window near the garbage can.

Residents of the fourth floor believe that a floor resident who smokes often may have started the fire accidentally by dumping ashes or a lit cigarette in the garbage can.