Field hockey ends successful season

Two weeks ago the Dartmouth women's rugby club travelled to the University of Massachuseets in Amherst, Mass., to combat other New England teams for the Mayor's Cup in the Beantown Tournament.

After two days of play, the club came home with the second place trophy after losing in the finals against the University of Connecticut.

Aggressive rugby brought the team to the finals. Making her debut at scrum half due to a transportation emergency, senior Nicole Carrier scored an impressive three tries against Brown. Other tries from scrummies Katherine Osborne '94, sophomore Zib Rybicki and a conversion from Keirsten Lawton '94 led the DWRC to crush Brown, 27-0.

In its best game of the season, the DWRC defeated Boston College, 22-7, with more tries from flanker Rybicki, seniors Jen Skoda and Mishauna Goeman, and another conversion by Lawton.

But in the final game against UConn the team's intensity lagged and they faced their first defeat of the season with a close score of 11-7.

"Basically we were outplayed," Coach Barb Bond said. "We made far too many mental errors."

The team came back Oct. 23 during its away game against Amherst with a 24-10 victory. The DWRC dominated Amherst with tries by junior winger Cristy Nguyen, Carrier and Goeman.

The win against Amherst places the team in the New England Playoffs, where they will meet UConn again.

This weekend, the team will have another chance with UConn when the two squads meet in Storrs, Conn., for a match which will determine rankings for the New England Championships.