Big Green weekend preview

As the Fall athletic season winds down, several teams square off in the final games of the term. With hopes of post-season play burning in their minds, the Big Green looks to close their record books with notches in the win column. Men's and women's rowing

Both men's lightweight and women's crew head down to Princeton to compete in Saturday's Princeton Chase.

In the past, Ivy League rivals Harvard, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania have sent down their squads so there will be no shortage of adversaries for the Dartmouth rowers.

"It's really an informal race," men's coach Dick Grossman said, "but I expect we'll do pretty well."

Both teams will be competing in the eights and fours divisions on a three-mile course. Men's soccer

The team travels to Columbia on Saturday and takes on Penn Sunday as they end their regular season against Ivy rivals as it looks to improve its 8-5 overall and 1-4 Ivy record.

Coach Bobby Clark said Columbia, coming off their victory over Princeton, should prove to be a formidable opponent and "it's going to be a very big game for them."

"Penn is an interesting team and they're never easy to beat at home," he said. "We've got to take Columbia first and if we win, then the Penn game will look after itself." Women's soccer

As the team (11-2-1 overall and 6-0 Ivy League) heads into its away game at Columbia, one cannot help but think of the pending post-season. Nevertheless, Coach Steve Swanson remains cautious and is careful not to overlook Columbia.

"It's a very important game for us," he said. "We went down there two years ago and barely beat them in overtime, so we're not looking past them."

"We need to keep up the momentum and we certainly don't want to share the Ivy title with anyone" as Cornell looms in the background with its 5-1 Ivy mark. Men's tennis

With the team competing at the Rolex Tournament in Princeton since yesterday, the squad looks to close out its 3-2 season with a decisive win against its Ivy league rivals.

With every Division I school in the region possibly sending its singles and doubles players, Dartmouth looks to qualify for the National Rolex Tournament to be held in February.

"We have three singles players in the main draw," assistant coach David Jones said, "and two doubles teams. It's basically an individual tournament and we should hang right in there." Women's ice hockey

The Big Green takes the ice in Thompson Arena this Saturday at 2 p.m. in a pre-season exhibition game against Concordia College.

"I think we've been coming along nicely," Coach George Crowe said. "We just got everyone playing the past week and we don't have huge numbers, but our quality is pretty good."

Crowe plans on starting Sara Lenczner '97 in the net for the Big Green and points out that several freshmen plan to be integral parts of the team.

"We're going to really emphasize on end zone and defensive coverage," Crowe said, adding, "we'll be in good shape." Women's volleyball

After Tuesday's victory over St. Michael's, the volleyball squad travels to Cambridge and matches up against Princeton and Harvard in the Harvard Tournament.