Men's soccer wins

The men's soccer team defeated 20th-ranked UNH Wednesday night, 1-0, in a double-overtime thriller in front of 3,500 fans in Amherst, N.H.

Forty-five seconds into the second overtime, George O'Brien '95 beat Wildcat goalie Steve Baccari with a header off a far-post corner kick from Co-Captain Blaine LeGere '95.

"We were pounding on the door all day, but we just couldn't finish," LeGere said. O'Brien "cured our ills."

Baccari was forced to make 12 saves, many off the foot of striker David Moran '96, who had 8 shots on goal. Moran's best opportunity came in the second half, as his shot from inside the 18-yard box hit the right post.

Goalkeeper Brian Wiese '95 made four saves for Dartmouth. Wiese lowered his goals-against-average to 0.56 and recorded his second shutout of the season.

"When a team doesn't score, you can't give all the credit to the defense," Coach Bobby Clark said. "It starts off with the forwards defending. It's a team effort."

UNH entered the game as the number-one ranked team in New England. Played at a neutral site, the game showcased New Hampshire's best two teams, both of which have achieved regional and national status.

"It was a great game," Clark said. "To have a great game, you need two good teams. You've got to give UNH a lot of credit."

Dartmouth improved to 3-2 and handed UNH, 9-1, their first lost of the season.

The Big Green now looks to this weekend, when they play Brown at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday and Maine at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Both games are at Chase Field.

"Brown's a good team, but the onus falls on us," LeGere said.

"We don't want to think ahead," Clark added. "We want to think to Brown first. We should look forward to enjoying each of the games. If we do that, we'll be fine."