Corporate recruiting underway

Companies looking to recruit graduating seniors are already starting to advertise with Career Services, and the office will soon start planning schedules for corporate recruiting visits later this term.

Career Services "acts as an intermediary between the senior and the various corporations that will be appearing on campus," said Mary Oronte, the career resource library manager.

The office, located in the old hospital building on 6 Maynard Street, helps graduating seniors anxious about the current state of the job market by preparing them for the entire job search process. Specifically, it helps them in the various stages of the recruitment process.

Recruiting is the annual process in which numerous firms and companies arrive at Dartmouth to seek out new student employees. Recruiting season usually begins in the late fall and lasts throughout Winter term.

Oronte said many advertising firms, health care organizations and large business corporations are ready to begin recruiting soon. These companies are starting to advertise at Career Services and schedules will appear shortly, she said.

The two heads of the recruitment activities are Daryl Gehman, the assistant director of recruiting, and Kathryn Hutchinson, the associate director of Career Services.

Kim Blanchard '94, an administrative intern at Career Services, said there are many services available to help seniors.

She mentioned evaluation and help for students revising resumes, information on the numerous companies that will be on campus in the winter, library resources, mock interviews by Tuck School students and special recruiting-skills workshops that teach seniors the basics of recruiting strategies.

Career Services brings the companies to campus and provides them with the student's resume and various data such as their grade point average.

It posts dates and schedules for interviews and sets up information sessions dealing with the companies.

Michael Litter '94 even published a book that contains the resumes of many members of the senior class and is made available to the companies. His book is not connected to Career Services .

In the fall seniors prepare their resumes, establish interview strategies and research the companies that interest them.

Later on, they submit their resumes and schedule interviews with the companies when they arrive on campus.

But many seniors, wary of the potential competition in the job market, have been preparing for this dreaded time of year well before the fall.