Undergraduates and faculty help you get a clue

You've finally arrived on the Hanover plain. Your room is a mass of boxes soon to be unpacked as you settle in for a great year. Without your parents' protection, you feel a twinge of homesickness. You're glad to have the independence, but somehow you feel lost and lonely.

As a first-year student, you may feel pretty clueless and don't really know where to turn for help and guidance. But you don't have to feel alone for long because there are many people at the College who are here to help you and to make you feel at home in this unfamiliar place.

One of the first people to meet while moving in is the undergraduate advisor. The UGAs are upperclass students who train extensively to help their UGA group, nine to 14 first-year students in their dorm, make the transition to college life. When confronted with questions about Dartmouth life, classes, making friends and curing homesickness, the UGA may offer some good advice.

The UGA group grows together and creates long-lasting friendships with the aid of all kinds of social activities and fun things to do, such as speakers, movie nights and "Breakfast for a Buck" on the weekends.

There are also a lot of upperclass students sprinkled throughout the dorm to guide you as well.

One upperclass student in particular with whom first-year students may want to acquaint themselves is the computer consultant. Students quickly realize the necessity to understand their computer and its functions. Getting familiar with Blitzmail, Microsoft Word and Public are very key (see page 20) for first-year students.

This Fall term will also include five new resources for students as a result of the implementation of a two-year pilot program called Graduate Students-in-Residence. The object is to share graduate students' knowledge and experiences with undergraduates.

Each first-year student is assigned a faculty advisor to help with class selection and plan out majors. These selections are based on expressed academic interests, and the student and faculty member usually schedule a meeting for Freshman Week.

Dartmouth also offers many programs designed to help students who find themselves challenged in the classroom. One of these is the Composition Center.

Students take their papers and other writing assignments to be critiqued by fellow peers who provide suggestions to make the writing process a little easier. This precautionary measure prevents students from getting hosed (see page 20) by their profs.

The College also offers tutors and study groups through the Academic Skills Center. The Center's purpose is to make the learning process smoother and less frustrating for students.

When you're not in the classroom, Career Services can help you find a part-time or leave term job or internship. Career Services also offers placement assistance after graduation and has seminars and resume review sessions to help find you the right job.

To couple a sound mind with a healthy body, the staff at Dick's House is there to help with illness and to answer questions ranging from birth control to sexually transmitted diseases to numerous other health concerns.

According to Dr. Jack Turco, health services director, educating students about means of prevention of sexually transmitted diseases is the only method to eliminate these diseases.

Dick's House approaches education by distributing pamphlets about safe sex and how to avoid contracting a sexually transmitted disease. It also provides a knowledgeable staff which is able to counsel students concerning their fears and questions about STDs.

Another service that Dick's House provides for students is a nutritionist who answers questions concerning proper nutrition and how to avoid eating disorders.

Marcia Herrin, who heads the nutrition department at Dick's House and performs a variety of other services, targets what is, according to her, one of the most prevalent problems for students here -- eating disorders.

Herrin frequently delivers talks to students about the proper and improper means of dieting and is available for personal counseling. "One of the biggest problems that people who have eating disorders face is creating a proper relationship with food, rather than using it as a means of emotional purging," Herrin said.

Extracurricular activities are also important in the life of a first-year student. There are countless organizations that are excited and eager to recruit new members. A student's first year is a time to explore the scores of options available and to meet upperclass students with similar interests. They can be a great source of information when needed.

And finally, when all else fails, take a trip to the freshman office. Take advantage of its services. The people in that office are there to help. No question is too big or too small.

These are only a few of the services available to help you through your first year as well as through the next four years of your Dartmouth career.

So, don't worry, you won't be clueless for long. Whether it's your UGA, DOC trip leader or the staff at Dick's House, don't be afraid to ask your question or seek advice. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked!