Pennant heats up

RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Gentlemen, start your engines. If the first half of the 1993 baseball season is any indication, this could be one of the most exciting American League pennant races in recent history.

As the second half of the season began last week, 10 teams in the AL were within three games of division-leading Toronto in the East and Chicago in the West. That's the closest the standings have been at the All-Star break since the mid-summer classic began in 1933.

In the East, the All-Star break couldn't have come soon enough for Toronto, which is hoping to regroup after losing 10 of its last 11.

Detroit is putting the pieces back together after blowing a marvelous start with a 10-game losing streak. The Tigers can generate more power than a hydroelectric plant, but their pitching is suspect.

New York also limped to the break, losing eight of 10. Things have been altogether too quiet from George Steinbrenner's end -- look for the Boss to start making trouble.

Baltimore is rejuvenated after a poor start and looks strong, only half of a game back. If Cal Ripken, Brady Anderson and Mike Devereaux start hitting anywhere near what they're capable of, the O's could clinch their first pennant since '83.

After starting the season well, Boston trailed off, but has managed to hang around and has been hot lately. With Clemens looking sharp off the disabled list, the Bosox are finally healthy and certainly dangerous.

The West is every bit as much of a playground. Don't count anyone out of this race. Even last place Minnesota is only 11 1/2 back.

The White Sox probably have the best shot at the pennant, especially if its talent-laden offense starts firing on all cylinders. Jack McDowell, Wilson Alvarez and Alex Fernandez give Chicago three quality starters, but beyond that, it's a bit tough.

The Royals are a bit of a surprise in second place, but nothing should be considered altogether shocking in a season like this. The team is streaky, but has talent.

Texas is the hottest team in the division and has won 14 of 17 without Jose Canseco. Pitching is always suspect for the Rangers, and the team has a tendency to fade in August.

California has a lineup full of talent and a pitching staff anchored by Mark Langston, but the team is probably too young this time around.

The Mariners are tied for fourth place and after a slow start, the team is coming on strong. Seattle has the best starting rotation in the division and Ken Griffey Jr. is having an MVP season. With Norm Charleton to anchor the bullpen, the Mariners will give Chicago trouble. The team is young, but manager Lou Pinella is no stranger to pennant races.