July 4 fireworks come to Hanover with a bang

Rain or shine, Hanover promises to deliver a weekend of fireworks, food and fun for the first time in over 15 years this Fourth of July. And, assuming this weekend runs without any major problems, Selectman George Gambell said the celebration will become an annual event.

"It's something that needs doing and we're going to do it," Gambell said. He said he brought up the idea of celebrating the nation's independence several months ago at a meeting of the Board of Selectmen and was greeted with accord and excitement.

In past years, Student Programs Coordinator Linda Kennedy said she has had to direct students to Lebanon when they approached her a few days before the holiday asking what celebratory events Hanover had in store. Since sophomores return to campus in late June, there is not enough time to start organizing activities for the Fourth, she said.

This year, a committee made up of representatives from town and College groups have organized entertainment, games, a parade, and a traditional fireworks display.

Committee Co-chair Chris Vitale said the committee designed the weekend to help unite the community.

"We always have a big celebration in Lebanon, but nothing that has pulled Hanover together," she said. "We really wanted to get the community involved."

Starting this year, students and area residents will no longer have to travel to Lebanon to watch lights bursting from the sky. There will be a 10 to 15 minute fireworks display at Chase Field near the Food Co-Op on Saturday night. The performance is sponsored by the College's Programming Board and will begin when the sun goes down around 9 p.m.

"It'll be big and loud and everything people are looking for in their fireworks," Kennedy said. By holding it July 3, organizers allow viewers to hit other displays, such as the ones in Lebanon and Stowe, Vt., on the Fourth.

Sunday afternoon, a parade around the Green will kick off a plethora of Independence Day activities with an old fashioned Fourth of July theme. The parade will include colorguards from the White River Junction American Legion and the Hanover Boy Scout Troop, followed by Honorary Mayor Lou Bressett and his wife riding in a convertible. Bressett is the former owner of Lou's Bakery on Main Street and has served as the head of the Hanover Improvement Society.

A newly refurbished fire engine from the Etna Fire Station will lead in a series of floats and children on decorated bicycles. A collection of 14 rejuvenated classic cars from the 1940s and 1950s will bring up the tail.

The parade will begin on Tuck Drive at 1 p.m., make its way to North Main Street, head South to the Hanover Inn and turn left on West Wheelock to make two trips around the Green and finish up across from the Inn.

Following the parade, Brescott will conduct a brief ceremony on the stage at the center of the Green, including a call for the Pledge of Allegiance. The ceremony will finish by 2 p.m. so the entertainment can begin.

During the next three hours, several groups will take the stage, specifically a barber shop quartet called the North Country Chordsmen, The Foggy Mountain Cloggers, The Flames playing golden oldies selections, and the Twin State Dancers.

At the same time, students and children will be able to join in games and races, including a potato sack race, egg toss, watermelon pit spitting contest and hay rides. Face painting booths, clowns, balloons and a petting zoo will also decorate the Green.

"It's for everybody," Programming Chair Kerri Cavanaugh '95 said. "They wanted to do something for the Fourth of July to keep people in town and they would like Dartmouth people to come and participate."

Volunteers, including members of the '95 Class Council will help run the booths and games. Various town organizations, including the Lion's Club and the Hanover High School Girls' Hockey Team, will sell typical carnival food, like hot dogs, hamburgers, cotton candy and snow cones.

"We hope all the students on campus know they are completely welcome to join in," Gambell said. "We're anxious for this to be a very pleasant town and gown event."