Laura Ray announced as interim Thayer dean

Dartmouth has announced that engineering professor Laura Ray will become interim dean of the Thayer School of Engineering on Oct. 29. She will hold the position until June 30, 2019 or until a new dean is appointed.

Ray has worked at Thayer for 22 years and is a senior fellow in Dartmouth’s Society of Fellows. Her current efforts to develop robots that can operate in polar regions have received funding from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the National Science Foundation. Ray teaches ENGS 89, “Engineering Design Methodology and Project Initiation,” ENGS 90, “Engineering Design Methodology and Project Completion” and ENGS 147, “Mechatronics.”

Ray replaces Joseph Helble, who in turn will become the College’s next provost in October. She assumes office as Dartmouth prepares to expand the west end of campus, including Thayer, as part of its “The Call to Lead” capital campaign.

The search for Ray’s permanent replacement is currently underway. A 12-person search advisory committee will be chaired by Eric Fossum, a Thayer professor and the College’s associate provost for entrepreneurship and technology transfer.