The Weekend Roundup: Week 8

Cross Country

Women’s cross country had a strong showing at the 2017 Ivy League Heptagonal Championship this past Friday, with several runners earning All-Ivy honors. The Big Green finished second overall with 73 points, just seven points behind winner Columbia University.

Olivia Lantz ’19 led the way for the Big Green, advancing 14 places in the second half of the race to a fifth-place finish with a time of 21:17.0, earning her First Team All-Ivy honors.

Just behind Lantz were Julia Stevenson ’20 (21:28.6) and Ella Ketchum ’21 (21:32.5), finishing 11th and 13th. By finishing as top competitors both Stevenson and Ketchum earned the distinction of Second Team All-Ivy honors.

Rounding out the scorers for the Big Green were Leigh Moffett ’18 (19th, 21:45.8) and Bridget O’Neill ’18 (25th, 21:56.7).

Men’s cross country ran what head coach Barry Harwick ’77 referred to as its “best race of the season” at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships, finishing fifth overall with 138 points.

Will Shafer ’18 led the Big Green over the 5-mile course at Van Cortlandt Park, finishing 19th in 25:34.8. Shafer had a strong finish, advancing from 37th place at halfway through the race to finish.

The remaining four scoring runners finished within 12 seconds of each other. Pat Gregory ’18 finished 28th in 25:48.0, with Patrick O’Brien ’21 (30th in 25:51.9) and Ben Szuhaj ’19 (32nd in 25:55.3) close behind. Sean Laverty ’20 rounded out the scoring runners for the Big Green, finishing 36th in 26:00.1.

Equestrian

Equestrian picked up a win on Saturday at the University of New Hampshire to extend its lead in Region 1, Zone 2. The Big Green swept open fences, with Olivia Champ ’19, Lilly Higgins ’20 and Sophie Lenihan ’20 taking the top three spots, respectively. Nathalie Ferneau ’18 earned a third-place ribbon in novice fences. Claire Bick ’18 and Lenihan both garnered second-place ribbons in open flat, while Sarah Cohen ’18 and Elle MacAlpine ’18 earned second place in intermediate and novice flat, respectively. Mahalia Dalmage ’21 and Sophie Kocher ’21 won novice flat and beginning walk-trot-canter, respectively. Kocher’s win advanced her into advanced walk-trot-canter. Alex Chen ’19 added the final win for the Big Green with her first-place finish in walk-trot.

Results from the team’s competition against Colby-Sawyer College were not available as of press time.

Field Hockey

Field hockey fell 6-2 to No. 16 Harvard University away at Berylson Field in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Saturday. Gemma Bautista ’19 provided the offense for the Big Green, scoring in the 10th and 24th minutes to give the Big Green an early 2-0 lead. The Crimson put one on the board before halftime, but the Big Green maintained the lead. The second half was a different story, as the Crimson put up five unanswered goals. The Big Green was outshot 35-4, while goalie Hailey Valerio ’19 made 13 saves in the loss.

Football

The Dartmouth football team suffered a nail-biting loss against Harvard University 25-22. Down 11 points midway through the fourth quarter, quarterback Jack Heneghan ’18 was thwarted in his attempt to complete the comeback after Harvard’s Tanner Lee intercepted his pass with 1:14 to spare.

The Big Green scored early in the first half with 10:24 remaining on the clock when running back Ryder Stone ’18 made a 10-yard run into the endzone following an 80-yard drive. Dartmouth held the lead into the second half with another touchdown after Heneghan connected with wide receiver Hunter Hagdorn ’20 with 2:40 remaining to put the Big Green up 14-0. Harvard responded with a touchdown by tight end Ryan Antonellis with less than a minute to go. After the Crimson missed its field goal attempt, the Big Green held a 14-6 lead moving into the third quarter.

Trying to close the lead, the Crimson held the Big Green scoreless throughout the start of the second half before a successful 76-yard drive to close the gap to 14-12.

With momentum on its side, Harvard put up two consecutive touchdowns to take a 25-14 lead with just over seven minutes remaining. Scrambling to get back in the game, Heneghan drove the ball 80 yards before a six-yard dash into the endzone. Taking a chance on the two-point conversion, the Big Green successfully converted on a pass to wide receiver Dylan Mellor ’19, leaving Dartmouth down by only a field goal.

Despite Dartmouth driving the ball from its 20 to the Harvard’s six-yard line, Lee’s interception gave Harvard its 14th straight win over the Big Green. The Big Green return home to play Cornell University next weekend.

Women's Golf

Poor weather cut play a day short at the Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands Ladies Fall Intercollegiate Invitational hosted in Atlanta, Georgia. The Big Green finished 13th at 79-over 655 on the par-72 course in its final tournament of the fall season.

Co-captain Catharine Roddy ’19 tied for 32nd place with 13-over 157 to lead the Big Green. Roddy improved five strokes between rounds one and two, carding a birdie on the second day for a tied-for team best 76 (+4) on the day. Jessica Kittleberger ’18 bounced back from a shaky start to match Roddy’s performance in round two at four-over par, finishing 50th at 18-over 162.

Three strokes behind her was classmate and co-captain Isabelle Kane ’18, who sat in 56th place at three-over 165 after two days of play. Moon Cheong ’21 and Maddie Nelson ’20 rounded out the Big Green players with 171 (+27) and 175 (+31), respectively.

Kennesaw State University and University of Louisville tied for first place with 20-over 596. Coastal Carolina University’s Malene Krolboll Hansen took individual honors with an even 144.

Hockey

The Big Green (1-3-0, 1-2-0 ECAC) started off its weekend with a 1-0 victory against Quinnipiac University at High Point Solutions Arena this past Friday night. Alyssa Baker ’19 scored the lone goal of the game on the power play 14:52 into the first period on an assist by Cecilia Lopez ’20 and Hailey Noronha ’18. Christine Honor ’19 made a career-high 61 saves in what was her first career shutout, breaking the previous NCAA record for the most saves in a shutout. The Big Green only took 16 shots to the Bobcats’ 61. Quinnipiac pulled its goaltender for the last two minutes of play but could not tie up the game.

At Hobey Baker Rink on Saturday, Dartmouth fell 8-1 to Princeton University. The Tigers opened scoring in the first period and found the back of the net three times before the horn sounded. After 20 minutes of play, Princeton led Dartmouth 15-6 in shots. The Tigers struck again nine minutes into the second, and Honor was pulled having allowed five goals on 14 shots. Shannon Ropp ’19 took her place in the net. With two Princeton players in the box for slashing and hooking, Christina Rombaut ’20 capitalized on the opportunity to score her first goal of the season with less than a minute remaining in the second period. Caroline Shaunessy ’19 and Noronha assisted on Dartmouth’s lone goal of the game. Following the goal, the Tigers continued to run away with the game, scoring three more times in the third period to solidify their win. Ropp made 22 saves and allowed three goals.

The men’s hockey team opened its season this weekend with a 5-3 loss to the College of the Holy Cross at the Hart Center in Worcester, Massachusetts on Friday. The Crusaders opened scoring four minutes into the first period with a power-play goal and struck on the man-advantage again at the 14:14 mark. Holy Cross went up 3-0 with 1:25 remaining in the first period, but Kevan Kilistoff ’19 won the ensuing center-ice face-off and fed winger Daniel Warpecha ’20, who made it 3-1. Only 39 seconds into the second period, Ryan Blankemeier ’20 brought Dartmouth within a goal, assisted by Corey Kalk ’18 and Brendan Less ’21. Less than three minutes later, Kilistoff tied it up on the power play thanks to an assist from Cameron Roth ’19 and Joey Matthews ’21. But the Crusaders added a fourth goal later in the period and scored the only goal of the final period to take the win. Devin Buffalo ’18 recorded 24 saves in the loss while Less and Matthews earned their first career points. On Sunday, the men faced No. 3 Harvard University, losing 5-0 at the Bright-Landry Center. The Crimson outshot Dartmouth, 31 to 19. Buffalo and Adrien Clark ’20 recorded 13 saves each in the shutout.

Rowing

Both men’s and women’s rowing teams traveled to New Jersey to compete at the Princeton Chase on Sunday. Men’s heavyweight raced four boats in the Varsity 8+ final, with the varsity 8A posting the team’s top finish in second out of 38, completing the 3-mile race in 12:36.791, behind host Princeton University (12:32.476). The varsity 8C boat finished in 16th-place (13:13.772), the 8B finished 19th (13:16.388) and the 8D finished 27th in 13:29.918. The heavyweights also had four teams compete in the Varsity 4+ final, with the Big Green’s A squad finishing ninth in 14:25.177. Dartmouth was also represented in the Freshman 8+, finishing second in 12:53.31.

Men’s lightweight raced three in the Varsity Lightweight 8+ final, four in the Lightweight 4+ final and one in the Freshman 8+ final. The varsity 8A finished 11th in 13:16.688, with the 8B (17th, 13:33.581) and 8C (22nd, 14:01.943) not far behind. The top team in the fours was the A boat in 13th place (15:00.519). The freshmen finished eighth in 13:34.825, more than 40 seconds behind the heavyweight’s freshman boat also in the same race.

The women’s freshmen crew won the Novice 8+ race in 14:49.86. The A crew placed sixth in the Varsity 8+ final, finishing in 14:28.95, with the B (18th, 15:00.48), C (30th, 15:27.44) and D boats (45th, 16:02.99) also competing. The women also had four crews compete in the Varsity 4+ final, with the A boat finishing first for the team and sixth overall in 16:16.47.

Rugby

No. 2 Big Green defeated No. 4 Harvard University 22-8 in a decisive victory to claim its third consecutive Ivy League Championship.

Although the Crimson attempted to maintain tight possession of the ball throughout the first half, Dartmouth quickly took the lead just after the six-minute mark when captain Frankie Sands ’18 outran defenders after intercepting a pass from Harvard. The Big Green built on its lead after the 24-minute mark when a Harvard penalty allowed Idia Ihensekhien ’21 to assist Becca Jane Rosko ’20 in the team’s second try.

Sands scored her second try after making it past two defenders after the 34th minute before Kat Ramage ’19 added a conversion. Ramage contributed the final points for the Big Green at the end of the first half after a try off an assist by classmate Allison Tong ’20.

Harvard got on the board at the end of the first half after a Dartmouth penalty provided them the opportunity to score. Despite an aggressive second half with multiple attempts at tries, neither the Big Green nor the Crimson were able to score until Harvard scored its only try in the final minute.

The Big Green will prepare for the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association Varsity Championships on Nov. 11.

Sailing

The sailing team spent the weekend in the Boston area at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Professor Schell Trophy, Harvard University’s Victorian Urn Trophy and Tufts University’s Nickerson Trophy.

At the Professor Schell Trophy, MIT looked comfortable on its home turf, winning the regatta by more than 60 points. Dartmouth, powered by a strong performance from Christopher Williford ’19 and Rebecca McElvain ’19 in division A, finished in fifth. Duncan Williford ’18 and Paige Clarke ’20 raced the first 12 races in division B, and Jack McGraw ’20 and Alyssa Berger ’19 raced the final six.

At Harvard, Emma White ’19 and Peninah Benjamin ’20, sailing in division A, finished in the top half in nine races over the weekend. Audrey Giblin ’20 and Sophia Diserio ’18 raced in division B. The Big Green ended the weekend in fourth place, 101 points back of winners Yale University.

A south-southwest breeze let the teams race 10 races on the Upper Mystic at the Nickerson Trophy. Timothy Greenhouse ’21 and Sarah Chong ’21 were seventh out of 18 competing teams in division A, and Max Clapp ’21, Michael Tellini ’21 and Eloise Burn ’21 sailed to fifth place in division B.

Soccer

No. 20 men’s soccer (10-3-1 overall, 4-0-1 Ivy) and the women’s soccer team (6-10 overall, 0-6 Ivy) faced Harvard University. The men maintained tight possession of the ball, allowing Harvard just two shots and taking 30 shots of their own, the highest shot total for Dartmouth in the past four seasons. Harvard goalkeeper Kyle Parks matched Dartmouth through 89 minutes of play, making 11 saves. But Dartmouth swept away his clean sheet in the final minute when Justin Donawa ’19 sent a ball into the box. Donawa was thwarted by a Harvard defender, but the ball squirted out to co-captain Matt Danilack ’18 who bicycle-kicked it into the net. Both teams played a tight defensive match which finished with three yellow cards and a red card that booted Paolo Belloni-Urso from the game only after 34 minutes.

The win against Harvard leaves the men tied on top of the Ivy League standings, with Columbia University.

Despite a fierce 102 minutes of play, the Dartmouth women’s soccer team lost in double overtime to Harvard 2-1 on Saturday.

The Crimson set the pace early in the first half, scoring after the 19-minute mark when Harvard’s Murphy Agnew beat three Big Green defenders to score a left-footed shot.

The game remained scoreless into the second half until the 58th minute, when Bonnie Shea ’21 headed the ball to the left side of the net off a corner kick from Brittany Champagne ’18. While Dartmouth played a tough offensive game, outshooting Harvard 23-11, neither team was unable to score, sending the game into double overtime.

In the 102nd minute, Agnew put her second goal of the day into the top corner of the net from 20 yards out to hand the Big Green a tough defeat. The loss moved Dartmouth to 0-6-0 in the conference as it moves into its final home game against Cornell University this weekend.