Good Samaritan policy change covers drugs other than alcohol

The College’s Good Samaritan policy now covers students impaired by alcohol or other drug use, expanding on its previous policy. The change, in addition to a new drone policy, was announced in a campus-wide email from senior associate dean of student affairs Liz Agosto.

“Students who contact Safety and Security or call 911 for assistance, the individual assisted and others involved will not be subject to disciplinary action with respect to the Alcohol and Other Drug policy,” the email stated.

The Good Samaritan policy remains the same beyond covering students impaired by drug use in that “it does not preclude disciplinary action for violation of other College standards, and does not prevent action on the part of local, state or federal law enforcement.”

The change follows Gov. Chris Sununu’s signing of marijuana decriminalization bill HB 640 on July 18. The bill, which took effect on August 18, reduced the penalties for marijuana possession. The email announcing the policy change does not mention specific substances.

Dartmouth also adopted a drone policy to ensure compliance with local, state and federal laws, including Federal Aviation Administration regulations.