College endowment reaches all-time high, returns 14.6 percent this past fiscal year

The College's endowment reached an all-time high value of $4.96 billion for the fiscal year 2017, which ended on June 30. Generating returns of 14.6 percent, the endowment grew by $77 million via gifts and net transfers and $630 million through net investment gains.

Last year, the endowment reported a loss of 1.9 percent on its investments, the worst performance since 2009 but in line with the nearly 3 percent average estimated loss for U.S. colleges and universities. The endowment was valued at $4.5 billion in 2016 and $4.7 billion in 2015.

The College named Alice Ruth '83 as chief investment officer in March, succeeding Pamela Peedin '89.

The College's press release primarily attributes the increase to "the broad rise in public markets both in the U.S. and internationally." This year's rise also compares better than past average increases. The endowment's returns have been 10.6 percent, 6.4 percent and 10.2 percent over the last five, 10 and 20 years.

Dartmouth is the first Ivy League school to report its endowment performance for 2016.