Joshua Monette '19 died unexpectedly

Joshua Monette ’19 died this week near his home in Neah Bay, Washington, College President Phil Hanlon wrote in a campus-wide email sent Friday. He was swept out to sea while harvesting seafood with a family member on the shoreline at Cape Flattery in Washington. He was reported missing on Sunday.

The U.S. Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound and the Neah Bay Fire Department both began searches for him on Sunday. The Coast Guard suspended its search on Monday morning, and the fire department suspended its search on Tuesday.

Monette was a member of the Makah Native American tribe and the Native American community at the College. He studied linguistics and Native American studies.

Monette’s family will hold a celebration of his life on Sunday in Neah Bay, and a memorial will be held on campus at a future date. A scholarship fund is being created in Monette’s memory. Donations can be sent to 1st Security Bank, c/o Rachel Venske for Joshua Monette, 134 W. 8th St., Port Angeles, WA 98362.

In Hanlon's email, he wrote that students, faculty and staff can speak to counselors through the Office of Counseling and Human Development, the College chaplain's office, the dean on call and the Faculty/Employee Assistance Program. Safety and Security can help community members find assistance 24/7 at (603) 646-4000.

A full obituary will be published in the near future. If you would like to share a memory, please contact editor@thedartmouth.com.