The Weekend Roundup: Week Five

Men's hockey

Men’s hockey dropped a 2-1 contest at Colgate University on Friday evening before bouncing back the next night with a 4-2 win against Cornell University. After the weekend’s action, the Big Green have an 8-11-3 overall record and a 5-8-2 conference record to sit in eighth place in the ECAC standings.

Colgate came out strong on Friday, building a 2-0 lead on goals from Brett Corkey and Bobby McMann, but Dartmouth got one back on a Kevin Neiley ’18 tally 6:04 into the third period. Despite outshooting the home squad 9-5 in the final stanza, the Big Green was unable to sneak another one by Colgate goaltender Charlie Finn, who made 26 saves in the victory and became the Raiders’ all-time leader in saves (3,071) late in the third period. Devin Buffalo ’18 got the starting nod for Dartmouth and registered 24 saves.

Dartmouth struggled on special teams, going 0-for-5 on the power play ­— just the second time in the preceding 11 games that the Big Green had been shut out on the man-advantage.

On Saturday evening at Cornell University, Dartmouth scored four unanswered goals to upset the No. 14 team in the nation. Alex Jasiek ’19 notched the tying and winning goals on the power play just 62 seconds apart in the third to extend the Big Green’s unbeaten streak at Lynah Rink to five games.

Cornell got goals from Matt Nuttle and Matt Buckles in the first before Cam Roth ’19 got one back for Dartmouth in the second stanza. Neither team would add to the scoresheet until 12:17 into the third when Jasiek got a piece of a Troy Crema ’17 pass in front of Cornell goaltender Mitch Gillam, who was unable to corral the bouncing puck. After Jasiek’s game winner, Crema added an empty-netter with 1:31 left to seal the victory.

Buffalo kept the Big Red off the scoresheet in the second and third periods and was credited with 34 saves in the win. Cornell’s Gillam made 26 saves in the loss.

Dartmouth went 3-6 on extra-man opportunities, while Cornell was 1-3 with the extra skater.

Women's hockey

The women’s ice hockey team fell to No. 8 Cornell University 1-0 in a tight battle on Friday evening at Thompson Arena. The Big Green dropped to 5-16-0 overall and 3-12-0 in the ECAC amidst continued offensive struggles.

The only goal of the evening came 9:31 into the first period when Kaitlin Doering got the visitors on the board. Dartmouth goalie Robyn Chemago ’17 kept the door closed on Cornell for the remainder of the game, making 28 saves in the loss. Cornell’s Marlene Boissonnault stopped all 13 Dartmouth shots she saw, including a flurry down the stretch after Chemago was pulled for an extra skater. Special teams were kept off the ice for most of the evening, with each team getting only a single power play opportunity.

On Saturday afternoon against Colgate University, the Big Green was unable to rebound from a slow start and fell to the Raiders 6-1.

Chemago was one of the lone bright spots for the Big Green, making 36 saves, including an athletic breakaway stop late in the first that kept the home squad in the contest. Colgate’s Julia Vandyk made 30 saves to earn her 16th victory of the season.

Colgate jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period behind goals from Megan Sullivan and Livia Altmann. Annika Zalewski made it 3-0 for the visitors on a second period power play, but Dartmouth finally got on the board when Kennedy Ottenbreit ’17 knocked a backhander past Vandyk 9:24 into the final stanza. The visitors would proceed to score three more times in the contest, including two empty net goals after head coach Laura Schuler pulled Chemago for an extra skater in an attempt to close the gap.

Dartmouth managed 31 shots on net but could not capitalize on three power play tries. Colgate peppered Chemago with 42 shots and managed one goal on four man-advantages.

“Colgate is a really good team with a lot of offense,” Schuler said. “I am proud of our girls for not giving up and showing a lot of resiliency, but we need to find a way to put the puck in the net.”

Dartmouth had been held scoreless in three straight outings before notching a goal against Colgate. In 22 games this season, the Big Green has scored an ECAC-worst 1.18 goals per game. Dartmouth (5-17-0, 3-13-0) is tied for 10th in the ECAC with Ivy League rival Brown University.

Basketball

The Dartmouth men’s basketball team lost 66-54 Friday night against Columbia University. Evan Boudreaux ’19 had a team-high 13 points and six rebounds. He was 2-for-4 on 3-point attempts. Columbia’s Luke Petrasek led all scorers with 18 points on 7-for-14 shooting.

On Saturday night, Dartmouth lost to Cornell University 75-62 at home bringing its record to 3-14 and 0-4 in the Ivy League. Boudreaux led the Big Green with 23 points and 14 rebounds. Down 35-23 at the half, Dartmouth managed to mount a comeback, cutting Cornell’s lead to five points with 8:33 left to play, but eventually Cornell was able to retain control and come up with the win. Dartmouth plays Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania at home next weekend.

The women’s basketball team lost 91-88 to Columbia at Leede Arena on Friday night. The game set a record with four overtimes, which became the most in a single game in Ivy League history. Fanni Szabo ’17 and Isalys Quiñones ’19 led the Big Green: Szabo scored 31 points and had 9 rebounds in 55 minutes of play, and Quiñones scored 23 points and had 11 rebounds in a game high 60 minutes of play. Quiñones tied the game at 57 in the second half with just over a minute left to go, but the Big Green could not capitalize on a steal to win the game. In the first two overtimes, Dartmouth played catchup, but behind the strong play of Szabo managed to leave both overtimes tied. Dartmouth almost won the game in the third overtime, up 83-80, but Columbia’s Emily Surloff hit a buzzer beater to tie it. Eventually, Columbia was able to pull ahead in the final overtime.

On Saturday night, Dartmouth beat Cornell University at home 84-74. It was the team’s first win in the Ivy League. Its record is now 6-11 and 1-3 in Ivy play. Szabo had another strong performance with 23 points and 6 rebounds shooting 9 for 13 from the field. Andi Norman ’18 also played well, scoring 14 points and hitting four 3-pointers. The Big Green play the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University next weekend.

Skiing

At Jackson, this weekend, the Big Green ski teams won their second straight carnival, beating out second-place finisher, the University of Vermont, by 58 points. The weekend’s venue was a preview of the NCAA Championships, which will be held in Jackson later this season.

The alpine team dominated Cannon Mountain on both days. Foreste Peterson ’18 and Tanguy Nef ’20 each topped the podium in Friday’s giant slalom, with Nef posting the top times in each run on his way to victory.

Stephanie Currie ’20 followed Peterson in third for the women, and Brian McLaughlin ’18 took second on the men’s side. The following day, McLaughlin won the slalom for the second week in a row, and Alexa Dlouhy ’19 finished second in the women’s event.

Over at the Jackson Touring Center, the Big Green also took podiums ­— Fabian Stocek ’17 with gold in the men’s 20-kilometer freestyle and Lydia Blanchet ’19 with a third-place finish in the 15-kilometer freestyle.

Strong team performances in every event, including team wins in the men’s and women’s giant slalom and men’s slalom, propelled the team to a whopping 903 points.

Squash

No. 9 women’s squash narrowly avoided an upset on Sunday, squeaking past No. 13 Drexel University 5-4 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The Big Green began the day with losses from Annie Blasberg ’20 and Becky Brownell ’18 but bounced back with wins by Janel Gaube ’18, Emma Roberts ’19 and Maddie Fraser ’17. Julia Potter ’20 and Zainab Molani ’18 challenged their Drexel opponents but each lost in four games, setting up a decisive match at the No. 1 position. After dropping the first game 8-11, Dartmouth’s Jacqueline Barnes ’17 claimed the next three games to clinch the overall match for Dartmouth.

The Drexel Dragons also edged No. 9 men’s squash 6-3 on Sunday. Matt Giegerich ’19 got the cleanest win of the day, a three-game victory finished off with a dominating 11-1 set. Glen Brickman ’17 and Jack Harvey ’18 got the other two victories — Harvey in four games and Brickman in a five-game thriller. Alvin Heumann ’18 also fought hard at the No. 1 position, going up 2-1 on Drexel’s Omar El Atmas. But his opponent got the better of him when the fourth match went to extra points, and Heumann could not recover in the fifth.

Tennis

Dartmouth men’s tennis had a busy weekend taking on both Binghamton University and the University of South Carolina. The Big Green beat Binghamton on Friday 7-0 without dropping a set. Ciro Riccardi ’18, in the number No. 1 singles spot, won 6-4, 6-3, beating Ludovico Cestarollo. In doubles, the No. 2 team of Max Schmidt ’17 and David Horneffer ’20 beat Frenk Kote and Tiago Lourenco 6-3.

Dartmouth lost 6-1 to South Carolina in Hanover on Saturday. The Big Green’s only point came from Horneffer, who beat Thomas Mayronne 6-1, 6-2. Riccardi and Charlie Broom ’20 took their opponents to three sets, but each fell 10-5 in super tiebreakers. Dartmouth is now 2-2, and will play away matches at the University of Minnesota and the University of Iowa next weekend.

The women’s tennis team played well against Boston College on Saturday with a 5-2 win. Tied 2-2, wins by Jacqueline Crawford ’17, Racquel Lyn ’20 and Allison McCann ’20 sealed the victory for the Big Green. Kristina Mathis ’18 beat Kylie Wilcox 6-2, 6-4, but her and partner Taylor Ng ’17’s doubles-match went unfinished. The pair were down 6-5 when the match stopped.

On Sunday, the team beat Purdue University 4-3. Ng won in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot, and Mathis won her match against Alex Sabe in a third set tiebreaker 6-0, 2-6, 7-6(3). Dartmouth is currently 3-0 on the season after its two wins this weekend.

Track and Field

The Dartmouth track and field team participated in the Terrier Classic at Boston University on Saturday. Two individual performances stood out. Patrick Gregory ’18 ran the 1000-meter in 2:23.85, finishing seventh overall. His time was the third fastest in program history. Henry Raymond ’20 ran the mile in 4:02.49 placing ninth in the race. Raymond’s race is the 12th fastest mile in Dartmouth history.

The women’s team also competed at the Terrier Classic this weekend. Helen Schlachtenhaufen ’17 ran a 4:42.72 in the mile, the fourth-fastest mile in Dartmouth history. In the 1000-meter Bridget Flynn ’18 finished third overall as the top college runner with a time of 2:48.77. Eliza Dekker ’19 finished right behind her in fourth with a time of 2:50.92. Julia Valenti ’20 cleared 3.80 meters in the pole vault, tied for the third best mark in team history.

Swimming and Diving

The women’s swimming and diving team fell to the University of Connecticut 181-114 in its penultimate dual meet of the season. UConn dominated the diving events, taking the top three spots in the 3-meter event and the top four positions on the 1-meter board. Allison Green ’19’s fourth place on the 3-meter board and fifth in the 1-meter event made her the Big Green’s top diver. In the 400-yard medley relay, Dartmouth’s A team finished over three seconds behind UConn in second (3:59.41). AnnClaire MacArt ’18 and Maddie Dunn ’17 finished 1-2 in the 200-yard freestyle with times of 1:53.91 and 1:56.21.

Other top finishes came from Hayley Winter ’18, who was second in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:27.38), and Sam Norton ’20, who won the 100-yard breaststroke (1:05.72) and the 200-yard breaststroke (2:23.07). Dartmouth ended the day by taking the top two spots in the 200-yard freestyle relay. The A relay team (Megan Crook ’19, Amy Sun ’17, Sophie Smith ’20 and Dunn) was first (1:39.09) with the B team close behind (1:42.22).

The men also lost to the Huskies in a close meet, 161-134. The Big Green started off with top finishes on the diving boards as AJ Krok ’19 won the 1m competition (292.12) and was second on the 3m board (295.43). In the 400-yard relay, Dartmouth’s A team was second (3:28.37) and the B team was third (3:33.05).

Some top individual finishes included Henry Senkfor ’18’s win in the 200-yard freestyle (1:42.34) and Tony Shen ’18’s second place finishes in the 100-yard backstroke (52.44) and 100-yard freestyle (46.87). Delaney Hall ’19 took second in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:08.47), and Will Belmont ’20 took second in the 50-yard freestyle (22.02). Patrick Kang ’17 finished first by one-tenth of a second in the 100-yd breastroke. Dartmouth also took first and second in the 200-yard free relay as the A team (Belmont, Hall, Tang-e Tan ’20 and Henry Patrick ’19) won in 1:29.53 and the B team touched more than a second after (1:30.99).