Gifts to College increase from last year

Gifts and commitments to the College for the 2016 fiscal year totaled over $318.8 million, a 2.8 percent increase from the previous year’s record-setting level of giving. The money will address a wide range of initiatives across campus, including research, athletics and the new housing communities.

The 10 new academic clusters and the 30 new faculty members the clusters include will be supported by a $150 million investment that includes gifts from the previous two years.The clusters address a number of global challenges, including poverty alleviation and health care delivery. The 10 clusters are titled: “Breaking the Neural Code,” “The Jack Byrne Academic Cluster in Mathematics and Decision Science,” “The Challenges and Opportunities of Globalization,” “Meeting the New Challenges of Cybersecurity,” “Digital Humanities and Social Engagement,” “Global Poverty Alleviation and Human Development,” “Arctic Engineering in a Period of Climate Change,” “The Susan J. and Richard M. Levy 1960 Academic Cluster in Health Care Delivery,” “The William H. Neukom Academic Cluster in Computational Science” and “Personalized Treatments for Cystic Fibrosis.”

Through the end of the 2016 fiscal year, which ended in June, $40.5 million had been committed towards the Hood Museum of Art’s $50 million expansion and renovation project, while $8.7 million had been committed to the reconstruction of the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. The Lodge donations come after George Battle ’66 and his children Daniel Battle ’01 and Emily Battle ’05 challenged the Dartmouth community to raise $10 million for the building’s reconstruction. In an interview with The Dartmouth last October, Battle said that the new Lodge would have modernized function but the design would retain the old building’s feel.

The College’s athletic department received over $25 million in gifts, which will fund the construction of a new indoor practice facility, the construction of which is scheduled to begin this fall and conclude in November 2017.

Forty-two percent of all Dartmouth alumni participated in giving to the Dartmouth College fund, amounting to $44.9 million. The fund provides funding for the over 44 percent of undergraduate students receiving financial aid. The Class of 1991 gave $8.1 million as a 25th reunion class gift, while the Class of 2000 set a College record for its 15th reunion gift of $1.21 million. Donors also increased the endowment by over $71 million over the 2016 fiscal year.

The Tuck School of Business received $7.1 million in annual gifts, with an alumni participation rate of over two-thirds. The Geisel School of Medicine received $1 million, while the Thayer School of Engineering’s annual fund received $1.6 million.