Litzky: Understanding Over Judgment

On Feb. 28 and March 1, the Center for Gender and Student Engagement co-sponsored two performances of the play “The Abortion Monologues” with the Medical Students for Choice chapter at the Geisel School of Medicine. In response, one of my peers, Ana Maria Dumitru, wrote an opinion column entitled “Avoid the Abortion Monologues” suggesting that students and community members should boycott this performance because the play was “intended to destigmatize and promote abortion as an option.”

As a co-leader of MSFC, I feel that hosting “The Abortion Monologues” was important in helping our peers to be better physicians and in helping the Dartmouth community better understand the issues surrounding abortion. In co-sponsoring this event, the group was not necessarily trying to “promote” abortion as an option — though obviously we think that it should be one. The fact remains that abortion is an option, both legally and medically, for the majority of those who are interested, whether you are happy with that or not. As doctors, it is not our job to determine which treatments should be available to our patients. Instead, we are responsible for providing accurate medical advice on all of the options available so that our patients may make a well-informed decision. Although some still argue about the safety of abortion, for truly shared decision-making, we must treat our patients as their own agents. To allow our patients the freedom to decide, medical professionals are obligated to present all possible decisions with an accurate portrayal of the risks and benefits and allow patients the agency to make their own choices. The patient — not the physician — should decide which risks and benefits are most important to his or her quality of life.

We also were not specifically aiming to “destigmatize” abortion. As of 2008, it’s estimated that at least 30 percent of American women will have an abortion by age 45 — for many of these women, abortion is already a fact of life. By helping others understand why these women had abortions or why they may choose to in the future, this choice may become less stigmatized. MSFC’s goal in hosting this play, however, was to help doctors create a safe environment, one in which their patients feel comfortable talking about their bodies and health care decisions. The first step in creating such an environment is to listen.

Because of this, I think it is important that everyone — even those staunchly opposed to abortion and especially those who are going into medicine — attend events such as “The Abortion Monologues.” Regardless of what speciality you plan to enter, as a medical student you will have patients who have had, will be considering or will be seeking an abortion. To treat these patients with the compassion and respect they deserve, we are obligated to do our best to understand their decisions — even if they are not the decisions that we would make. If you are not planning to go into medicine, chances are that you still know someone or will know someone who has had an abortion. Whether or not we agree with others’ choices, we are obligated to consider their motivations before judging their actions.

“The Abortion Monologues” aims to help everyone understand what leads a woman to seek an abortion — because, as was well-emphasized in the play, no one actively wants to have one. Although there are no women who clearly regret their abortion in the play — and perhaps it would be more well-rounded if there were — there are several characters whom I considered unlikable and irresponsible. These characters help us to explore our personal reactions and ideals, and in doing so, we can learn to respond in a non-judgmental and sympathetic manner to our patients, friends, peers, co-workers and acquaintances. Because, as a doctor, my personal feelings about these patients will be irrelevant — they will still be my patients and will still deserve a compassionate encounter with their doctor.

I hope that events such as “The Abortion Monologues” can help my peers and community attain a better understanding of those around them, no matter what their own personal choices would be.

Julia Litzky is a MD/Ph.D. candidate at the Geisel School of Medicine and the co-leader of Medical Students for Choice.