A Day in the Life

As the only Dartmouth term with a reputation for lighter course loads and “ample” free time, sophomore summer has proven distinctive, but perhaps not in the ways that one might have so eagerly expected while cruising down the road to 14X. Faced with an almost unhealthy number of opportunities for procrastination and inspired by a new sense of durability that undoubtedly only serves to help us justify our sluggish work habits, many in the ’16 class have finally reached the end of what might be referred to as an eight-week “adjustment period.” Leafing through pages of previously unopened textbooks and unearthing syllabi to prepare for midterms and finals, it’s easy to observe one’s peers and assume that everyone has put themselves in the same compromised position.

In reality, however, such might not be the case. As the only Dartmouth term in which it is not uncommon for students to take two-class terms or even forego classes altogether, summer provides a various experiences for students depending at least in part upon their academic commitment level. It’s the first term where it’s normal to find yourself alone in Baker lobby while classmates crowd the swimming docks or anxiously await 5 o’clock to be released from work. As such, we’ve taken the liberty of asking what a day in the life of students taking zero, two or three classes looks like so that those of us living the “typical” sophomore summer experience might get a better sense of what “typical” really means.

Zero Classes: The 9-to-5 Grind

Name: Kaitlin McCallum ’16

Typical day: 9 a.m. wake up, every day but Thursday, catch the Advanced Transit bus to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, work until 2 p.m. before making my way to track practice. After practice ends around 5 p.m., I head home to my off-campus house for dinner and de-stressing.

Benefits of working in lieu of school? I enjoy a significant amount of free time, which allows me to focus on my interests extensively. There is a definitive end to educative time, and each moment I get to spend as a part of the workforce, utilizing my knowledge, provides me which unanticipated strength. I spend a significant amount of my free time seeking social intimacy and authenticity, and the support I’ve experienced lately from my friends and [sorority] sisters has been truly remarkable. I also make enough money to allow me to participate in the social activities that I want to!

Downsides of working vs. studying: Having a job disables a lot of the socializing that occurs between classes, and I rarely attend events with friends when they are scheduled in the afternoon or early evening because I have other obligations.

Two Classes: A Slightly Lighter Load

Name: Toni Aguiar ’16

Typical day: While Tuesdays and Thursdays are brutal because of 10A/2A scheduling, a restful Monday, Wednesday and Friday make doing work much more manageable and enjoyable. Most afternoons are reserved for relaxation and logging river hours, and every weekend is four days long.

Benefits of the two-class term? I have so much free time. I’ve been way more involved socially with my sorority, and I’ve been trying to work through my summer bucket list. I’ve been down to the river and have been spending a lot of good time building my relationships.

Lib time: I usually have a few hours of reading assigned per class on top of projects, papers and midterms. I also spend a significant amount of time in the studio, generally 7-10 hours a week.

Reflective opinion? Taking a reduced course load is way better. I’m doing well in both of my classes and have been able to solidify a lot of my relationships. If you are presented with the opportunity, I would totally recommend a Hanover FSP. They are really awesome for the summer, when you feel partially liberated from the homework grind.

Three Classes: Just a Normal Term?

Name: Robin Overing ’16

Typical day: Monday and Friday I get up at 7 a.m. and go to lift, eat, go to a 9L and an 11, eat, work all afternoon. On Mondays, ENVS lab, then go to dinner and do more work. One class on Tuesday and Thursday as well.

Differences from other terms? This term has pretty much felt like a typical term. I wanted to have a lighter load so I only took one engineering course, but I ended up taking Architecture 1, which requires a lot of time. Last week I spent three whole days in the woodshop building a piece of furniture, which was really cool.

Three courses is definitely the way to go unless you’re preparing to find a job or doing research. But it is a great time to be on campus and enjoy the weather.

Study habits: Usually the start of the week’s a heavier load for me. I’ve had a problem set due on Tuesday for ENGS up until this week and lab also on Monday. I spend probably about 15-20 hours studying earlier in the week and less later in the week. Especially how it’s been working out with larger projects, the work comes in waves. Leaving it all to weekdays is a bad idea.