Voces Clamantium: Aylward, Will

Symbols of Sexism

I was impressed today to read the special Green Key issue: thoughtful reporting on an important topic. I found the variations between women and men in the poll very disturbing, like asking white and black Americans about racism. As I’ve said to friends, it is so sad that this culture that tolerates, indeed encourages, anti-social and anti-female behavior persists at Dartmouth, decade after decade. I saw it when I was an undergraduate and again up close when my daughter attended Dartmouth.

I posted a link to your issue on the Class of 1971 page on Facebook, noting the poll variations. In response, a classmate privately sent me a picture he took last year in a public place at Dartmouth.

Symbols are part of cultural expression and continuance. The expensive fancy leather murals in the Hovey Grill in the basement of Thayer were covered up because of their offensive depiction of nude Native American young women.

I believe the attached picture (see above) is of a woodwork panel located in the old Commons in College Hall, now Collis. When my dad ate there in the 1930s, this decoration would have been unremarkable; when I danced at a freshman mixer in this room in the fall of 1967, I would not have paid attention to it. But we have learned better. We know symbols are important; this is not art. This is not Goya, Titian or Rubens. This is demeaning.

So why are these two female nudes still here, framing a version of the College Seal?

David Aylward ’71

President and Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Dartmouth

* * *

Acknowledging Options

I would like to commend the editors of last weekend’s edition of The Dartmouth for their thorough and courageous reporting of the problem of sexual assault on our campus and campuses nationwide. Change can only take place if students are willing to step up and discuss an issue that seriously threatens the ideals we subscribe to as members of this community. I was surprised, however, that no mention was made of College President Phil Hanlon’s current major initiative to address sexual assault and other extreme and illegal behavior on campus.

A committee composed of students, faculty, staff and alumni has been formed to investigate extreme behavior on campus in three areas — sexual assault, high-risk drinking and lack of inclusivity — and we are actively soliciting opinions and ideas about how to address this behavior and its root causes.

We would like to urge all members of the community to add their voices to this discussion by emailing Moving Dartmouth Forward (moving.dartmouth.forward@dartmouth.edu), or posting to Improve Dartmouth: On the Ground (http://otg.improvedartmouth.com) or submitting a comment form (www.dartmouth.edu/~president/forward).

Barbara Will

English professor

Chair, Presidential Committee of Moving Dartmouth Forward