Daily Debriefing

An analysis conducted by the Institute of International Education in conjunction with the State Department found that a record number of international students came to study in the United States this year, up 7 percent from last year, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday. Even with this increase, the total number of international students in the U.S. represents less than 4 percent of the total student population. Among the countries sending students to the U.S., China, India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Canada lead the way, with China alone sending 235,000 students to the University of Southern California, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Purdue University, New York University and Columbia University enrolled the most international students.

For the second year in a row, Dartmouth boasts the highest athletic graduation success rate of any Division I institution, tied with Brown University and the University of Notre Dame, according to data released last week by the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Approximately 99 percent of student-athletes at the College graduate within six years of enrolling. Harvard University and Yale University had graduation rates of 98 percent, followed by the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University at 96 percent, Cornell at 95 percent and Columbia at 85 percent.

The backlog of disability claims currently awaiting review by the Department of Veterans Affairs in New England remains high, despite overall improvements, New Hampshire Public Radio reported. Although the Veterans Affairs offices in New England currently have 18,000 pending claims — nearly half of which have been pending for more than 125 days — the backlog at these offices has dropped by nearly 38 percent since March. On the national level, Veterans Affairs has seen a dramatic reduction in the number of backlogged claims, and they hope to eliminate backlogged claims by 2015.