One-on-One with Gabas Maldunas '15

This week, I sat down with Gabas Maldunas ’15, a center and power forward on the men’s basketball team. Maldunas hails from Lithuania but went to high school in the Granite State at the Holderness School. The team kicks off its season on Nov. 10 at home against Lyndon State University.

What did you think of the preseason poll that placed the team sixth in the league this year?

GM: Obviously we haven’t done much in the past, so that’s what we were expecting for the preseason poll to be at. We know we can do a lot better than that [and] we [can]definitely finish higher than sixth this year. We’re way better this year and the league is not as strong, I think, so we should be higher.

How has the preseason training been going?

GM: We have a lot of talent on the team. We have all the starters returning and a bunch of good freshmen and the intensity is way better than in the past. You can see that there is more talent and it’s just better practice.

What are your personal goals this season?

GM: Just to be the best that I possibly can. Of course, making the All-Ivy First Team is on my mind. The most important thing is for the team to do better than last year and maybe even win the Ivy League championship.

Do you see winning a championship in the future for this year or next year?

GM: I think we have the talent and the coaches have been working really hard with us and we definitely think we can do it in the next two years.

Your season goes on during winter break. How does that work for the team?

GM: Each year we have a trip. This year we’re going to Illinois [and Indiana] and playing the University of Illinois, Northern Illinois University and Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne. In the past we’ve been to North Carolina, Arizona, even Alaska. Usually during the winter break we’re on the road but we also have some home games.

Being from Lithuania, what made you want to come to Dartmouth?

GM: Well, I went to high school in New Hampshire and I really liked it here. It’s close to my high school and just the fact that it’s the Ivy League played a huge role in this. The weather is basically the same as Lithuania so that didn’t scare me away or anything. My whole family came here for a visit my senior year of high school and they loved it, so they kind of made me choose it.

Why did you want to come to high school here in New Hampshire?

GM: I wasn’t really looking for it. One of the coaches from back home is an agent and he offered me a scholarship to go to prep school in New Hampshire when I was 15. I couldn’t say no.

What do you think is the hardest thing about going to school in a foreign country?

GM: Just learning stuff in a different language than you’re used to. When I first came here English was really hard, and just being away from your family is hard too. You don’t really have anyone to talk to, complain or celebrate with. Also, the time difference with back home. You can’t talk to your friends or family whenever you want to.

What is the best part about being a Dartmouth athlete?

GM: It’s really nice that we don’t get treated differently than other students in the classroom. The teachers expect us to do the same as others, so it’s really nice that they don’t think that we’re not as smart as the other kids or stuff like that. I feel like all the student-athletes have a better connection than other people. It’s easier to make friends with other student athletes.

What is your favorite thing about the team?

GM: I really like that we’re really close with each other. We usually eat together — breakfast, lunch or dinner. We can always make each other laugh. We have a lot of inside jokes. We always have a good time and that helps a lot on and off the court.

Do you have any aspirations to play professionally?

GM: Yes, for sure. I definitely want to play in Europe, but maybe the NBA will come as well. Probably Spain or Italy. Basically anywhere, wherever they want me.

This interview has been edited and condensed.