One-on-One

Four years ago, I sat down with Nick Pappas '12 to discuss coming from Phoenix, Ariz., to Dartmouth, and what it was like to be a freshman on a successful Division I team. Now a co-captain for the men's soccer team, he took some time to reflect on how his perspective and priorities have changed over his Dartmouth career.

When I asked you freshman year what the best part of playing for Dartmouth was, you told me it was the ladies and the lifestyle. Has anything changed?

NP: The lifestyle hasn't really changed that much. To be honest, it's been a whirlwind. Me and my gatah boys are getting too old for this sort of thing. And now I'm looking for a nice girl to pull the reigns in on this wild stallion.

What are your priorities as captain?

NP: It's important to create a sense of togetherness and unity for the freshmen. Our freshmen are great so it hasn't been an issue at all. We had great leadership our freshman year. I try to use some of the seniors from when we were freshmen as an example as captain with practice and whatnot. Every day you have to come out and do well.

What did you do this summer to prepare for the upcoming season?

NP: I spent six weeks living in an all-intensive athletic training facility called Olympia Haus in New York City. We worked during the days and trained hard mornings and nights. We took advantage of the door-gym as well. I lived with two other elite Dartmouth athletes Peter "the Troll" Weinberg '12, on the men's squash team, and golf captain Teddy "Tornado" Overton '12. Coming back to Dartmouth this fall, I never felt so good. I was in the best shape of my life.

How important was Saturday night's win over the University of Massachusetts?

NP: It was huge. We played some really good teams the first six games and a couple of results didn't go the way we wanted. Having the fans there last night and coming back made it a really great night.

How does being in-season compare to off-season?

NP: I love being in season you get to see all the guys all the time. We eat dinner together almost every night, take a bunch of the same classes, it's great. I'm going to miss that a lot. And after the games that feeling. There's nothing better.

What type of music are you guys throwing on in the locker room after a game?

NP: "Happy Ending" by Mika. Putting on all the girly music we can.

Do you feel a lot of pressure to continue Dartmouth's recent success?

NP: Yeah, definitely. We've made the tournament every year I've been here and you don't want to be the team that doesn't make it.

Do you or any other guys on the team hope to continue playing after Dartmouth?

NP: Lucky [Mkosana '12] certainly does. Hopefully he keeps scoring. He played with a semi-pro team this summer. He's ridiculously fast. Craig Henderson '09 is coming back from an injury right now and playing in Sweden. Dan Keat '10 is getting more and more playing time for the L.A. Galaxy. It's cool to see him on TV. Kevin O'Brien '12 has showed a lot of potential in practice and he's looking to take it to the next level. He's an athletic specimen a real thoroughbred. I've never seen calves like his on a human before. A horse, maybe. But never another man.

What are your goals for this year's team?

NP: Winning the Ivy League title is our goal every year. Making another deep run in the tournament is the expectation. This is the best team I've been on in terms of actual ability. Our lack of experience could affect us, but the freshmen have gotten a lot of playing time in the past few games and they're progressing well.

What is it going to be like playing your last game here at Dartmouth?

NP: It's going to suck. There will be a lot of emotions. I don't want to think about what it's like the last time I step on Burnham Field. It's hard to describe the kind of commitment and dedication you feel to your team here at Dartmouth, but it's been the keystone of my experience here. I want to make sure we finish up this thing right.