Women's tennis drops season finale

After leading Dartmouth in singles wins this season, Ann Scott '06 competed in her final collegiate match Tuesday.

Harvard (18-6, 7-0 Ivy) has been absolutely dominant all year, beating Ivy opponents by a combined score of 44-5. Despite the lopsided loss, the Big Green women (5-15, 1-6 Ivy) were proud of the way they competed.

"We knew Harvard is one of the top teams in the country, but our main goal was to come out playing the ball, and not the uniform," co-captain Katie Jaxheimer '06 said. "We were able to focus on playing within ourselves, rather than being too aggressive and making too many unforced errors."

"We didn't play intimidated or outside of our own games, so I think that is something everyone is proud of," added Lindsay Winingham '07.

Harvard came out strong in doubles and swept all three matches to take an early 1-0 lead. At the No. 1 spot Megan Zebroski '08 and Natalie O'Rourke '08 had a tough time with the fourth-ranked team in the country, losing 8-4 to Elsa O'Riain and Melissa Anderson. The No. 2 team of Winingham and Kerry Snow '07 also lost by a score of 8-4 and at No. 3 doubles co-captain Ann Scott '06 and Jamie Caplan '09 lost 8-2.

In singles action, Dartmouth quickly went down 3-0 when Winingham at No. 2 and Snow at No. 3 lost their respective matches 6-1, 6-0 and 6-0, 6-1. Harvard then picked up the win with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Scott at No. 5 singles.

It was not all Crimson on the day, however, as Caplan picked up a marathon, come-from-behind win at No. 4 singles 3-6, 6-2, 10-7.

As the team's spring campaign came to a close Tuesday, the players emphasized the good things that came out of an often frustrating season.

"This season, we competed hard and had a lot of fun, which promoted cohesion on the team and built our experience," said Winingham, who played with an injured left wrist throughout the spring. "I'm hoping it will set a solid foundation for a stronger and more successful year next year."

The end of the season also means that the collegiate careers of two seniors on the team have come to an end, and for Scott and Jaxheimer that was not an easy thing to take.

"I am currently in the denial phase of becoming a retired athlete or non-er," Scott said. "It was an emotional day but I think that Katie and I were able to hold it together pretty well."

"Knowing that the Harvard match would be my last was something that I had been thinking about for a while. It was a very special match for me, and I tried to have as much fun as possible and enjoy every last second on the court.

"It was definitely difficult, though, to walk off the court knowing it would be the last time I would do so as a Dartmouth tennis player," Scott added.

With so much free time suddenly on their hands, both seniors hope to enjoy their final Spring term in Hanover by relaxing as much as possible. However, both will stay active as Jaxheimer plans to frequent the golf course and Scott hopes to play some recreational tennis once the weather gets better.

"Perhaps I will take on some of those who have challenged me over the years," Scott said jokingly. "I am no longer bound by NCAA rules and can now win money playing tennis. Score."

Although the thought of enjoying the Green without having to worry about going to practice is enticing, both would still rather be playing. They said that they will miss their teammates the most.

"I have spent so much time with my teammates at practice, matches, traveling and at team dinners," Jaxheimer said. "I would not have met some of my closest friends without playing tennis, and I will miss our jokes, support for each other and 'friendly competition' in everything from swim races to charades."

"I will miss the camaraderie and support that I have received from all of my teammates over the last four years," Scott added. "They are all amazing girls and I will miss seeing them everyday."

After competing with the seniors for three years, Winingham said that she has learned a lot from two great leaders.

"Katie and Ann will be impossible to replace," she said. "They really made being on the team with them a lot of fun, and I cannot imagine having two better captains."

Next year both captains will work in consulting. Scott will work for Bain and Company in New York, while Jaxheimer head to Boston to work for The Parthenon Group.