Men's, women's squash post victories over Williams

Newhouse grabbed his racket, assumed his ready position and proceeded to pick apart Phillips, dominating him 9-3 and 9-1 in the final two matches. His come-from-behind victory gave the Dartmouth men's squash team (4-1) a thrilling 5-4 victory over Williams Wednesday night.

Head coach John Power called the contest "classic, with many very tight matches." He added, "We knew going in that we were both well matched up and it would be a battle, particularly in their facility."

Other men's highlights included No. 1 Andrew Boumford '09 handily defeating Williams No. 1 William Walter. According to Power, Boumford showed "why he is the second-ranked junior player in Canada," praising the way he "handled his nerves" against top competition.

Another high point for the Big Green men was the play of Hank Alexander '06, who prevailed over the racket-ready Tony Maruca at the No. 3 spot in a match that lasted almost one hour.

Power called it "probably his best match of his college career."

Alexander was also impressed with his hard-fought victory. "I've played some very tough matches, and this was one of them," he said. "Don't let the final tally fool you; Tony Maruca was a tremendous opponent. We knew that we would have to step our game up, and we did. I'm proud of our performance."

The Big Green women (3-1) won 8-1 in a performance that Power said was no surprise.

"The women, as expected, won handily," said Power. Headlining the Dartmouth victory were straight-set victories by No. 1 Julia Drury '06 and No. 2 Ashley Malenchak '08.

Despite Wednesday's success, however, the Big Green's upcoming schedule leaves little room for celebration.

Both Dartmouth squash teams face an uphill battle this weekend when they square off against defending national champions. The men will face No. 1-ranked Trinity, while the women confront No. 1-positioned Yale.

"We can't become complacent," said Alexander. "It was a great test all the way down the ladder for our relatively young team and it really shows what we're made of. We can't let that big win distract us though, with several more big matches coming up soon."