Group helps students build body image

As part of their work with the College's Counseling and Human Development department, Donna Steinberg and Claudette Peck began the Food and Mood Group three years ago to combat an increase in distorted body images and unhealthy eating habits on campus. Their group, which will begin discussion next week, brings together Dartmouth students who have struggled with their own personal body image, and have resorted to bingeing or purging.

"The issue really is that for many students on this campus, the perception of what normal eating is has changed," Peck, the College nutritionist and a staff counselor, said.

"Therefore, I think you might find a greater number of students that eat in a somewhat disordered way and restrict on some level or exercise to excess," Peck added. "Because a lot of people are doing it, it has, in a way, become more accepted."

Steinberg and Peck restrict their group to students struggling with bingeing or purging because previous discussion groups that included students with restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, received mixed reviews from participants. The group leaders believe that the group setting fostered competition for people with restrictive eating habits.

"Cognitively, someone who is struggling with restrictive anorexia isn't at a place where a group interaction is very helpful to them," Peck said.

Since the change three years ago, participants have consistently provided Peck and Steinberg with positive feedback.

Bingeing is the consumption of excessive calories in a short period of time, according to Peck. Steinberg added that a sense of shame and lack of control can often accompany this behavior. Purging can take a number of forms, including self-induced vomiting, excessive exercise or ingestion of laxatives, diuretics and diet pills.

The weekly discussion group of about four to six Dartmouth students focuses on building a set of skills to help students control their binges as well as learn to deal with the emotions that can lead to binges. By teaching coping skills and healthy eating habits in a safe and confidential environment, Steinberg and Peck hope to help students begin viewing themselves more kindly and realistically.

In addition to the discussion group, a variety of services are offered on campus for individuals suffering from eating disorders.Therapists from the Counseling and Human Development department are available for individual counseling. In addition, an eating disorder clinical team provides assistance to students with severe disorders.

Eating Disorder Peer Advisors and a group called Students Against the Abuse of Food and Exercise are also available to students who seek help.

Spots are still open for the winter term discussion group that begins on Wednesday, January 18.