Dartmouth legend Rudy LaRusso '59 honored Saturday

The College community honored the life of Rudy LaRusso '59 on Saturday in a warm ceremony during the halftime show of the Dartmouth-Yale basketball game.

As LaRusso's wife, siblings and other relatives stood at half court, the crowd packing Leede Arena rose to their feet and chanted, "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!" in remembrance of LaRusso's achievements, both on and off the court.

LaRusso, who passed away in July 2004 after an extended battle with Parkinson's disease, is still considered one of the preeminent basketball players ever to graduate from Dartmouth. LaRusso excelled on the basketball court during the 1956-1959 seasons as the Big Green's starting center.

Establishing himself immediately as a force to be reckoned with in the Ivy League, LaRusso secured three rebounding records and led Dartmouth to the NCAA Tournament in 1958 and 1959 after winning the Ivy League title both seasons.

In a display of perhaps divine irony, Saturday's last-second shot by Steve Callahan '05 that decided the Yale game proved eerily similar to LaRusso's own game winner over Princeton in a 1959 one-game playoff for the Ancient Eight title.

As one of only two Big Green alums to record over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career, LaRusso's dominance and skills were undeniable.

Setting the school career record and single-game record in rebounds (1,239 and 32 respectively) along the way, LaRusso averaged a double double for his career, notching an impressive 14.6 points and 15.4 rebounds per game. With such impressive statistics, it comes as no surprise that LaRusso attracted the attention of NBA scouts.

In the 1959 NBA draft, LaRusso was the Minneapolis Lakers' second round pick, eventually moving with the franchise to Los Angeles and attaining NBA All-Star status on five separate occasions.

Moreover, his tenacity on the court proved integral in helping the Lakers reach the NBA Finals three times.

After ending his basketball career in 1969 with the San Francisco Warriors, LaRusso went on to become a successful sports agent and investment banker.

Remaining an avid fan and supporter of the College, LaRusso attended his final Big Green basketball game on Dec. 21, 1999, when Dartmouth defeated Loyola-Marymount, 89-67.

Afterwards, Dartmouth players chanted Rudy's name in the locker room in a fitting tribute to the Big Green legend's tremendous accomplishments. During the halftime ceremony, LaRusso's brother, Cory, and wife, Roslyn, both spoke on behalf of Rudy LaRusso.

Thanking everyone for their support, they explained how all of LaRusso's stories inevitably returned to the subject of Dartmouth. To honor LaRusso and his legacy, a fund has been established in his name to benefit the Dartmouth men's basketball program.

As the ceremony drew to a close, a familiar refrain echoed through Dartmouth College's basketball arena: "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!"