Houston and St. Louis lead battle for NL pennant

Throughout Florida and Arizona lockers are being cleared out, trucks are being packed and players are finally spending more time on the baseball field than the golf course as teams prepare to end spring training and begin Major League Baseball's regular season.

While this time of year is usually littered with hackneyed phrases like "On opening day, every team is in first place!" or "At the beginning of the year, everyone is in playoff contention," these clichs have historically served little more purpose than to fill up a sentimental piece about the smell of peanut shells and grass that emerge with the dawn of every new season.

However, after consecutive championships by the mid-to-small market Angels and Marlins, it seems as though for once these empty words hold some meaning. After an off-season that saw unprecedented player movement and the rise of heralded prospects to prominence, here are predictions for the season in the National League.

NL EAST

1. Phillies, 2. Marlins, 3. Braves, 4. Mets, 5. Expos

After acquiring lights-out closer Billy Wagner from Houston, and persuading starter Kevin Millwood to sign a one-year deal, the Phillies have a rock-solid starting five to complement an impressive collection of offensive talent.

The Marlins have lost catcher and clubhouse general Ivan Rodriguez to free agency, but still can contend if wunderkind corner-man Miguel Cabrera and postseason ace Josh Beckett produce over the course of a full season.

The Braves lost Gary Sheffield (OF), Javy Lopez (C), and Greg Maddux (P) to free agency and replaced them with -- who? -- J.D. Drew? Eli Marerro? John Thomson? Yikes!

The Mets can only hope that new short stop Kaz Matsui re-ignites fan interest for at least the first half of the year. Otherwise, they can close their eyes and try to pretend that Shea Stadium isn't mostly empty.

NL CENTRAL

1. Cardinals, 2. Astros, 3. Cubs, 4. Brewers, 5. Pirates, 6. Reds

Nobody expects the Redbirds to beat out Houston or Chicago. However, with the rehabbed Chris Carpenter (P) to complement ace Matt Morris and workhorse Woody Williams, the best lineup in the division will be able to compete against any opposing hurler.

The Astros will be fine as long as new P Andy Pettitte is able to survive the heavily right-handed lineups of his NL Central foes, as well as Minute Maid Park's short left field porch. Also of concern is newly anointed closer Octavio Dotel, who has 28 saves for his career. However, if Dotel should fail, young Brandon Lidge should be able to step right in and shoulder the load.

The hype surrounding the Cubs is a bit premature, especially since staff ace Mark Prior will now be out until sometime in May with an Achilles' tendon injury. Though new Derrek Lee (1B) is an improvement, he adds a lot of strikeouts to an already strikeout-prone lineup.

Milwaukee is a team that could start to break out a bit this year, with the maturation of some prospects and timelier hitting. On the horizon, Prince Fielder (1B), Richie Weeks (2B) and J.J. Hardy (SS) are all highly touted prospects that could see time in the show before season's end.

Pittsburgh could finish anywhere from fourth to sixth in the top-heavy Central. Until they begin to graduate some of their young arms to the bigs, though, the only pirate that will get any attention will continue to be Captain Jack Sparrow.

NL WEST

1. Dodgers, 2. Giants, 3. Padres, 4. Diamondbacks, 5. Rockies

Rookie GM Paul DePodesta will find a way to gain the young hitters that the Dodgers need to eke out a title in this sorry division.

What will be the downfall of the Giants -- the ongoing investigation of Barry Bonds' dealings with shady steroid peddlers, or the lack of any offensive talent at all besides Bonds? Either way, not even Bonds' inflated ego can lift this feeble supporting cast to the top of the division.

The Padres are the fashionable pick to take the division crown this year, given the shrewd moves made by GM Kevin Towers and a unique new stadium. Remember, though, this young team needs baby steps, not cosmic leaps. A third-place finish this year would give the team something to strive for as young pitchers Adam Eaton and Jake Peavy come into their own.

The Snakes have mortgaged their future for one final run at an admittedly weak NL West. However, rising star Brandon Webb (P) will not be able to carry this team on his own should ace Randy Johnson suffer an injury.

NL WILD CARD: Houston Astros

Despite the concerns at the end of the bullpen, the Astros will be the other team that is around in the Central when the dust settles.

NL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS:

Cards over Dodgers

Astros over Phillies

NL Championship Series

Cards over Astros

So there you have it. Coming soon: the American League preview.