New Springsteen CD is worth waiting for

"The Rising," Bruce Springsteen's first album with the E Street Band since "Born in the U.S.A.," is well worth the wait.

A mixture of rocky tunes and soulful, haunting ballads, the album is an emotional statement and response to the events of Sept. 11.

Springsteen, an artist who has come to represent what it is to be "American" has written an album that evokes the vulnerability of the country, our strength despite it, and most of all, hope.

Tracks including "Lonesome Day," "Waitin' on a Sunny Day," "Countin' on a Miracle" and "Let's Be Friends" bring back memories of E Street's "Glory Days."

The classic sounds of E Street, sax solos, jazz piano, organ and tambourine characterize these songs melodically.

"Empty Sky" has an ironically lively piano backbone and discusses the feelings of void and terror at waking up to a different skyline.

"Worlds Apart" has a unique Mid-eastern feel to it, a great hook, haunting bridge and wonderful guitar solos; evidence that after years of playing together, the band is still open to evolution.

"The Fuse" has a great backbeat and packs lots of little surprises.

While most of the tracks shine melodically and lyrically, a few seem like fillers. "Into the Fire" is pretty repetitive and seems to drag.

On "Nothing Man," the boss sounds old and tired, and the effect is compounded by boringly consistent chord progressions.

The lyrics of "Mary's Place" try not to be generic, but they are anyway; "meet me at Mary's place, we're gonna have a party" repeated over and over just doesn't ring my bell.

The most apparent difference between "The Rising" and older E Street material is the gospel, spiritual feeling it incorporates.

Many tracks are highlighted with the help of a gospel choir and organ. Lyrics in "My City of Ruins" include "Come on, rise up!" and "Now with these hands, With these hands, With these hands, I pray Lord I pray for the strength, Lord I pray for the faith, Lord I pray for the love, Lord."

If anyone could write about Sept. 11 and bring hope to Americans through music, it's Springsteen.

Who better than the Jersey boy who wrote "Born in the U.S.A." and came to represent middle- class America? "The Rising" is definitely worth a listen.