Savitri to battle 'Death' in the Hop

In the Hopkins Center tonight, there will be a rare opportunity to see what is probably the oldest dance form in the world, influenced by Indian marital arts techniques and contemporary moves. At 7 p.m. the Nrityagram Dance Ensemble of India, a nationally and internationally acclaimed dance troupe, will perform in Spaulding Auditorium. A spotlight discussion with members of the company will follow the event.

The musicians, choreographers and dancers of the ensemble originate from Nrityagram, a village near Bangalore, India. While not touring, the ensemble spends their time living together to learn traditional dance. They also work on developing ideas for their shows and undergo an intense dance program based on student-teacher interaction.

The dance village, the only one of its kind in the world, was created in 1990 by Protima Gauri to preserve and celebrate many classical Indian dance styles. It aimed to educate the next generation of dancers about the country's rich history of performance. By living in close quarters with their trained instructors, the students of Nrityagram will become torchbearers of classical Indian dance for years to come.

The members of Nrityagram believe that dance should be made available to all students without consideration of cost. As a result, all students of the village receive lodging, board and training for a period of up to six years. On weekends, the village opens its doors to children of all ages who can receive free dance lessons from trained teachers.

The village holds the Vasantahabba (Spring Festival), an annual festival of dance and music that regularly draws crowds of up to 25,000 people.

While at the village, the dancers receive education in mythology, the epics, Sanskrit, yoga and martial arts in addition to classical dance.

The most fascinating aspect of the ensemble is that they perform Odissi, a classical Northeast Indian dance, which originated over 2200 years ago. Odissi is the oldest dance technique in India and perhaps even the world. This style was initially performed in temples during ritual tributes to the gods. The graceful movements of the dance style communicate the sculptural themes of the temples of Odissi.

Odissi is a dance of seriousness, yet it has strong elements of love and passion which combine the earthly and the transcendental to transport the viewer to a world of magic and spirituality.

The performance and story line that the ensemble of dancers and musicians will be sharing with Dartmouth, contains sensuous and sparkling female energy. The ancient heroine, Savitri, must save her husband from the grip of Yama, the God of Death, by relying only on her love and intellect. Using her energy and the grace of Odissi, Savitri experiences a quest to redeem her husband from evil hands.

The strength of the group's performance lies in the members' exceptional synchronicity, dynamic motion and emotional release.

The Nrityagram Dance Ensemble has performed in over 400 venues in the United States, Canada, Dubai, India and Europe. The New York Times calls their performance, "one of the most luminous dance events of the year." At one New York show, the Nrityagram Dance Ensemble received a five minute standing ovation. The dancers are sure to stun the audience with their intricate footwork, beautiful costumes and structured dance that are rich with Indian history and spiritual meaning.