Competition Will Be Tough

The men's and women's swim and dive teams will get a chance to test themselves against three top Ivy League rivals over the course of the weekend. On Saturday, both squads travel to New Haven to face Yale and Penn in a tri-meet. The next day, the men and women swim at Princeton.

The Big Green will try to continue the positive momentum from last weekend's successes into these key conference matchups. Last week, the women went 2-0 with wins over New Hampshire and Middlebury. The men are also coming off a victory, having defeated Middlebury last Sunday.

Even though both teams are on a roll, the pair of meets will be a daunting task for the Big Green.

"Having a swim meet against Yale and Penn on Saturday and a meet against Princeton on Sunday poses to be our most difficult weekend of the winter," said co-captain Paul Schned '03. "All three of the teams are within the top four teams in the Ivy League."

Both Yale teams boast unblemished marks coming into Saturday's meet.

Penn is no slouch either, as both squads are above .500 in Ivy League competition for the season.

Both the men and women's teams for Princeton currently stand undefeated as well.

Key swimmers whose performances will help decide the Big Green's success include Michael Hipps '05, who had an excellent pair of meets last weekend and will look to win the 1,000 freestyle, and Ryan Goldhahn '04, who will try to take the 200 breaststroke.

For the lady swimmers, the diving dominance of Danielle Fritze '02, Emily Barsky '03 and Erin Bingham '05 must continue for the Big Green to have a shot at pulling off an upset.

The Big Green sees a golden opportunity to ascend the ranks of the Ivy League and will be ready to back up those visions this weekend.

"Going up against tough competition can be beneficial -- the guys will be more excited and pumped up to compete," said Schned.