Big Green May Still Be Without Hanks

A pivotal Interstate-89 matchup tomorrow night against the University of Vermont will set the tone for the Dartmouth women's basketball team (5-10, 1-2 Ivy) as it enters into the heart of the Ivy League season.

The Big Green possibly will continue to be without the services of scoring leader Kat Hanks '03. Hanks has missed the last three games with a knee injury, an injury that likely will heal before next weekend's tangles with Yale and Brown.

"We still aren't sure if Kat is playing, but she has been practicing this entire week, so chances are good," guard Keri Downs '03, a co-captain, said. "Having Kat back for the game would be great, but regardless of whether she plays or not, as a team we're going to need to focus on our zone defense along with pushing the ball and getting offensive rebounds."

Unfortunately for the Big Green women, they will have to contend with a pesky Vermont (8-7, 3-2 America East) team that demolished Dartmouth on Nov. 28 in Burlington, 80-60. Leading the way for the Catamounts that day and throughout the season have been Aaron Yantzi (11.4 ppg) and Hanover High alumna Morgan Hall (10.4 ppg). The 6-1 Hall had 18 the last time these teams met and could duplicate that feat because of her tremendous size for a guard. Yantzi could also have a huge game if Hanks can't play.

The people in charge of the middle now are going to be Katie Skelly '03 -- another Hanover High graduate -- and Heather Hanson '03. These two are going to have to focus on grabbing rebounds and dishing quickly to Downs and other guards so that the smaller Dartmouth team can run on the Catamounts.

"We're going to fast break and box out and do our best to get a huge win right in time for the Ivies to start up again," Downs said.

In order for Dartmouth to win, the women must out-rebound Vermont and make the easy buckets. A poor shooting day for the Dartmouth women will simply bury them, but good shooting and good defense make for a good result.