The Dartmouth Mirror
Mirror

Faculty Reflections: A Timeline

A letter is circulating among faculty members advocating for the abolishment of the Greek system. This isn’t the first time faculty have taken a stance — we examined previous votes faculty have taken on the matter as well as other letters and petitions they have distributed. Faculty may call a vote on the issue at the upcoming faculty meeting on Nov. 3. History may indeed be repeating itself.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "Einstein Picasso: Space, Time, and the Beauty that Causes Havoc" by Arthur I. Miller Is it merely coincidence that cubism and relativity, together defining modernity and renovating the arts and the sciences, appeared to the world within two years of one another?

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "What is the What" by Dave Eggers Dave Eggers of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" fame, recounts the story of Valentino Achak Deng one of the Lost Boys of Sudan.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "Good poems," selected and introduced by Garrison Kiellor In many an English class, the professor inevitably says that Dartmouth students don't read enough poetry.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "The Genius Factory: The Curious History of the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank" by David Plotz David Plotz uses his case study of The Repository for Germinal Choice (also known as The Nobel Prize Sperm Bank) to answer the question of how American society today has negotiated with the idea of selective breeding.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror Picks

Book: "Book of Sketches" by Jack Kerouac Many know Kerouac only as the author of "On the Road," but this book of story sketches in prose poem form reflects the man's brilliance still more clearly.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League and the Hidden Paths of Power" by Alexandra Robbins Yale's Order of the Skull and Bones, the main focus of this book, is a secret society steeped in myth, tradition and ambiguity.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach "The human head is of the same approximate size and weight as a roaster chicken," the first sentence reads.

The Setonian
Mirror

Mirror PicKs

Book: "The Elementary Particles" by Michel Houellebecq This nine-year-old bombshell-in-the-shape-of-a-novel was made into a movie a few months ago.

More articles »